Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C/Sgt A.J Baker

Neil Clark

I was wondering how many other A.R.S men are commemorated on the Commission's indexes? I have never seen an Army Remount Service headstone. Carl Liversage has confirmed that his Gallipoli style headstone will be erected soon in Ashford.

He won his DCM in the Battle of Belfast during the South African (Boer) War 1899-1902. Notice no regimental number on his entry. I gave the CWGC his regimental no that he had when serving in the R. Warwickshire's but for some reason this was not recorded? I presume his headstone will not have a r.number on it.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...sualty=75198596

I was wondering how many other A.R.S men are commemorated on the Commission's indexes? I have never seen an Army Remount Service headstone.

Neil,

'The' search engine pulls up a couple; Maj. Purdey, buried Tunbridge Wells, not a million miles away?

and Lt. Col Wood, Kensal Green cemetery.

There are a few more in the ASC Army Remount Squadron, but perhaps they have ASC headstones?

cheers,

Geoff

Thanks for that Geoff, I presume from this that A.J Baker will have an extremely rare headstone - 1 of only 3 in the whole wide world! I will post a photo when it's erected.

That is a bone of contention! I submitted proof to the CWGC that his rank was in fact - SERGEANT MAJOR in the form of 4 local newspaper articles. His service papers couldn't be found in the PRO despite several attempts at tracing them. He originally served in the Royal Warwickshire's during the Boer War where he won his DCM. The Commission refused to record his rank as a Sergeant Major preffering to record it as a Colour Sergeant which was the only rank I could substantiate with official docs. I am most thankful for your post here pointing out quite rightly that only an infantry soldier can be a Colour Sergeant (battalion colours and all that). I'm wondering if the commission might possibly re-consider their original decision because from what you have pointed out, it makes no sense whatsoever and is an very obvious mistake to a trained eye... I have never been happy with the decision as I am convinced he was in fact a Sergeant Major in the A.R.S. The person who decided this was the CWGC Records Supervisor Peter Holton and I got the impression he knew next to nothing about these matters... I was left feeling very upset by all this...

The last time I knew his headstone had arrived from France and it's waiting for erection in Ashford.

I wonder what Terry thinks?

Until AO 70 of 29 Jan 1915, CSM was an APPOINTMENT for an infantry soldier holding RANK as a CSgt, attracting a modest pay rise, retaining the same badge.

The subject of this thread died very shortly after, probably before the creation of Warrant Officer II RANK for those CSgts holding CSM APPOINTMENTS had filtered 'through channels'.

My understanding is that, if he were infantry attached Remount Service, and appointed CSM, there is a case to be made for him to be a WO II from 29 Jan, appointed CSM.

Complicated.

Regarding 'proof' from newspaper articles, no. I have one describing a soldier as a Colour Sergeant Major [and it wasn't the African Rifles, either!]