Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Record Interpretation Please

gjrobinson

Hi. I have a copy of my father's service record. I understand all except under "If Discharged:Whither,and for what cause" is the word "RUN" (no other information shown). Can someone please advise what this means.

Thank you

Gillard Robinson

Not AWOL. Being marked 'RUN' means that he was a deserter from the service and had been formally notified as such to the authorities. Removal of 'RUN' was an administrative procedure and depended upon the circumstances of the man's recovery (or not) from desertion.

Am pretty sure in Naval Records "Run" stands for AWOL (Absent without leave)

Ady

Thank you for your reply. Even though I felt down deep that this was the case it is sad to to know for sure, but it does help to solve the mystery of why he changed his name.

Regards

Gillard Robinson

Not AWOL. Being marked 'RUN' means that he was a deserter from the service and had been formally notified as such to the authorities. Removal of 'RUN' was an administrative procedure and depended upon the circumstances of the man's recovery (or not) from desertion.

Thank you for your reply. Even though I felt down deep that this was the case it is still sad to here, but it does solve a mystery of why he changed his name.

Regards

Gillard Robinson