Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map Location assistance

Nuova 500

I am a new forum member and would like assistance with a map location please.

My great uncle 4159 Cpl J H Martin 17th Battalion AIF was located and exhumed from a location 1mile east south east of Bullecourt in 1921

The Australian war Graves Service gave the family a location listed as being on Map - Sheet 51 b.U.29.d.4.5

Martin was reported missing on May 3 1917 so a map of trench line around that date would be very helpful - can any forum member assist with a map please. Cheers Chris.

Hi

IThe 51B is refering to the 40,000 sheet

It is actually on sheet 51BSW4 this one is edition 3B of 03-07-1917 Bullecourt

I have market the spot, which is 50°11'14.8"N, 2°57'07.8"E if you ever get there with a GPS.

Hope that helps

Guy

post-12226-1194351662.jpg

This map shows the objective for 5 Aust Brigade (of which 17 Bn was part) for 3 May 1917, including the Start line.

Chris Henschke

post-671-1194521448.jpg

This map shows the objective for 5 Aust Brigade (of which 17 Bn was part) for 3 May 1917, including the Start line.

Chris Henschke

Thanks for the excellent info and taking the time to respond - Cpl Martin was fortunate to have had some ID on his remains when unearthed in 1921 and was reburied in the (Queant Road Cemetery. Of interest 954 Australians are buried there but only 255 soldiers have been identified Martin was fortunate to one of these men. Thanks for the taking the time Regards Chris McQuellin