Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS.Nordstrand

tonycee

Thanks to Aribis i've now got my Grandfathers service record sorted,but this has led to another question. On his service record he was saved from the SS Nordstrand,19th March 1918,but the only trace I can find relating to this ship is a report of SS Nordstrand wrecked 3/4 mile North east of Whitby piers,March 18th 1918, while carrying coal from Newcastle to Rouen.

Any information on this event would be welcomed. Regards Tommy.

Thanks to Aribis i've now got my Grandfathers service record sorted,but this has led to another question. On his service record he was saved from the SS Nordstrand,19th March 1918,but the only trace I can find relating to this ship is a report of SS Nordstrand wrecked 3/4 mile North east of Whitby piers,March 18th 1918, while carrying coal from Newcastle to Rouen.

Any information on this event would be welcomed. Regards Tommy.

The NORDSTRAND was launched as the SLEDMERE, 1,970-tons, by Richardson, Duck & Co., Stockton. She was completed as Yard No.382 in February 1891 and launched on 21 January 1891 as SLEDMERE (Official No.98723) for G. R. Sanderson & Co., Hull

In 1893 she was sold to East Riding Steam Nav. Co., Ltd., Hull with G. R. Sanderson & Co. the manager.

In 1899 renamed BILLIO by new owners J. L. Vatis & Co., Syra, Greece

1912 sold to N. D. Lykiardopoulo, Syra

1915 renamed NICOLAOS C. by new owner Goudis & Co., Syra and managed by N. Goudis

1916 sold to A/S Steam (C. B. Nielsen), Skien, Norway

1917 renamed NORDSTRAND by same owners

In 1917 taken over by The Shipping Controller (W. A. Massey & Son, mgrs.), London

She ran aground and was wrecked on 18 March 1918, ¾ mile NE of Whitby Piers at Upgang Rck, while on a voyage from the Tyne to Rouen with coal. the 26 crew were saved by Whitby No.2 lifeboat without loss of life

Cheers Ron