Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Radio play

Guest geoff501

Not sure where to post this, might be appropriate here.

Afternoon Play – Memorials To The Missing

Thursday 8 November

2.15-3.00pm BBC RADIO 4

More and more people visit the many Commonwealth War Graves in over 150 countries around the world.

Today's ongoing recognition of the Commonwealth War dead owes much to one man – Sir Fabian Ware. Too old for active service in the First World War, he had travelled to France in 1914 as head of the mobile Red Cross Unit. Whilst there, he quickly came to realise that there was no clear system for recording the graves of those killed in action.

Stephen Wyatt's play follows Ware's struggle to obtain the backing of the Army and the Establishment to provide memorials reflecting the diverse, multinational aspect of the thousands of soldiers killed. Ware approached distinguished architects such as Sir Edwin Lutyens to design war memorials and cemeteries and author and poet Rudyard Kipling to write and select suitable inscriptions. Memorials To The Missing, by Stephen Wyatt, is a moving story of commitment and dedication. Ware believed that the dead were entitled to properly marked graves and he also knew it would improve the morale of the troops.

The cast includes Anton Lesser as Fabian Ware, Michael Maloney as Edwin Lutyens and Keith Drinkel as General Macready.

Producer/Martin Jenkins

Thanks for flagging this up!

Now i just have to work out how to listen or record it in Messines!

Bruce

Thanks for flagging this up!

Now i just have to work out how to listen or record it in Messines!

Bruce

There is always that there new fangled internet. They say its almost as good as the talking-type wireless from the BBC.

(usually available on Listen Again for a week)

There are a few WW1 themed radio broadcasts in the next few days.

• 3 months later...

Anyone get to listen to this?

I meant to get to it and didnt. Can not seem to find a podcast on the BBC site..drat.

regards

Arm

• 3 weeks later...

A public thank you to Andy Johnson for supplying me with a copy of this. I listened to it in the bath last night, Wife and kids out for the night, and really felt the struggle that Fabain Ware had to go through. Surprised that a bio or a docu/drama has not been attempted...oh for the ability to write a script!

Once again thanks Andy

regards

Arm