Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for Insight into Grandfathers RNR record

tonycee

Hello again, have received my Grandfathers service record from FAA museum today.Unfortunately I need assistance in understanding the terminology used!post-25520-1194022053.jpg

Please bear with me as this is my first attempt at uploading a file.

Hello Tommy,

Your grandfather was a Seaman R.N.R. & was granted a Good Conduct Badge 30/9/17 [worn on left arm] & 5 sea service chevrons for 1914/15/16/17/18 [worn above right wrist]. His Ability was Satisfactory & his Conduct was Very Good throughout his service until demobilisation on 12/5/19.

Ships & Shore Stations:-

Pembroke [also noted as "Pem"]; Chatham Naval Depot.

His Majesty`s Hired Trawler Emperor/ Meror: [ex Emperor], completed 1905, 250 tons gross, 1x3pdr & 1x2pdr guns, Admiralty No. 685, Port No. GY.94 [Grimsby]. Service from 1914 to 1920[also in WWII].

Attentive II; Parent for Auxiliary small craft at Dover 1914 to 1919.

Harrier; [1894 Gunboat] Depot Ship for Auxiliary Patrol, Ramsgate 1914 to 6/3/15 when replaced by Ceto until on 14/10/19.

President III amongst other duties was used for the accounts of officers & ratings on DAMS [Defensively Armed Merchant Ships].

THE S.S. Nordstrand was one of these DAMS . "Cummings saved from S/S/ Nordstrand stranded 19/3/18 reported at Chatham Depot 3/18".

Having written this out once, the mouse on my pc fell off the table & wiped it all off, so I`m going for a lie down now.

Hope the above helps you,

ARABIS.

Hello Tommy - Did your Grandfather have any connections with Grimsby other than the hired trawler Emperor / Meror? There were a few sea fishing apprentices named Cummings.

Cheers, Terry

Hi Arabis, thanks very much for your input, I wondered what Pembroke(Wales) had to do with his naval time!

Would any of these vessels have a medium sizes gun? He gave me the impression that he had been some sort of gunner!

Terry, he had no connections in that part of the world, as far as i've got with research into my family history (mid 1700's)

they are all from the North Northumberland,Scottish borders area. Thanks again for your info,Best Regards,

Tommy cummings.

Tommy,

Your grandfather would have been part of the DAMS gun crew on the Nordstrand, which would have had a 4.7 inch or a 4 inch gun. To give you an idea as to size, these guns were used as main armament on sloops & destroyers of the period.

Regards,

ARABIS.

Tommy,

It might be worth you starting a new thread on the S.S. Nordstrand. It would be interesting to find out what happened regarding the stranding on 19/3/18.

Regards,

ARABIS.