Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Churches Huts

daggers

A great aunt is listed on an MIC for a British War Medal, having entered France in April 1917, Civilians roll 104A, p.5. She evidently served in 'Scottish Churches Huts'. Does anyone know about them and what they did? Buns & Bibles?

Daggers

Edit - I should have said that I had looked in the LLT site, thanks Dave, but is there more info anywhere?

From the Long Long Trail:

The Church of Scotland's Guild established 25 centres, manned by 350 workers, in France and Flanders.

Dave

From forum member TD60's splendid site:

"Many more or less religious and military organizations came to help the army in France. The best known are the Red Cross, the YMCA, the VAD (Voluntary Aid Detachment). Others of more modest size, like the Scottish Churches Huts, also brought their aid to improve the life of the soldiers by offering opportunities for prayer, rest or relaxation. Sometimes, (demontable*) churches which were established behind the front line."

(*which could be erected and dismantled. Can't think of a snappy one-word translation!)

http://desplanques.tanneguy.neuf.fr//index.htm

Dave and Greyhound

Many thanks for help and pointer to the TD60 site, also merci for translation. 'Prayer, rest and relaxation' sounds appropriate, as the family were Presbyterian then.

Demontable -I seem to remember a word demountable but is it in the current dictionary?

Daggers

I have seen a letter writen at one of these Scottish Churches Huts. It says the place was packed and a piano was playing.

Tony.