Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMLI-HMS CARNARVON

Julie w

HI,I AM TRYING TO FIND A JOHN NEWPORT,WHO SERVED ON HMS CARNARVON.HIS MARRIAGE CERT GIVES THE SHIP AS HIS ADDRESS IN 1915.HOW CAN I TRACE HIM,I HAVE TRIED NA BUT SEEM TO BE GOING ROUND IN CIRCLES.HE WAS BORN IN GLOUCESTSHIRE 1890 ,HE WAS IN RMLI THATS ALL I KNOW,HOPING SOMEONE WILL POINT ME IN RIGHT DIRECTION,HE SURVIVED THE WAR THANKS JULIE

Hello, Julie,

There is a J Newman, Plymouth Division RMLI, born in Horsley, near Stroud, Gloucs. 29 May 1890. Could this be he? If so, papers pertaining to him are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum and the NA have his service record. He was de-mobbed after WW1 and re-enlisted in 1920 for pension.

Do you have a service (register) number for him? That would confirm.

H2

Royal Marines records are not online. The National Archives leaflets relating to the RM are confusing, the easiest way to find a WWI RMLI or RMA man is using the alphabetical medal roll ADM171/ 170.

Royal Marines records are not online. The National Archives leaflets relating to the RM are confusing, the easiest way to find a WWI RMLI or RMA man is using the alphabetical medal roll ADM171/ 170.

thanks for the reply,i will have another look at na for him

Hello, Julie,

There is a J Newman, Plymouth Division RMLI, born in Horsley, near Stroud, Gloucs. 29 May 1890. Could this be he? If so, papers pertaining to him are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum and the NA have his service record. He was de-mobbed after WW1 and re-enlisted in 1920 for pension.

Do you have a service (register) number for him? That would confirm.

H2

thanks H2 ,i havnt a service number for himmi will try your suggestions,thanks again julie

John Newport, born 29 May 1890 Horsley, Nailsworth, Gloucester..

Enlisted at Newport, Monmouthshire on 14 April 1908. Trade: Collier

Division: Plymouth

Number: 14464

Demobbed: 15 November 1919

Source: Register of Service (TNA ADM 159/155)

Married: 10 August 1915 whilst serving on HMS Carnarvon

Re-enlisted: 24 September 1920

Division: Plymouth

Number: 20824

Discharged: 5 April 1930

Reported Dead: 5 May 1936

Source: Register of Service (TNA ADM 159/167)

He was awarded the 14-15 Star, War and Victory Medals for service in WW1 (TNA ADM 171/170) and the Long Service and Good Conduct (LSGC) medal on 6 April 1924.

Other material with regard to his service will be held either at the Royal Fleet Air Arm Museum (his pre 1919 service) or the Ministry of Defence (for his post 1920 service or his whole service). Their contact details are as follows:

Fleet Air Arm Museum

Records and Research Centre

Box D6, RNAS Yeovilton

Ilchester

BA22 8HT

Tel: 01935 840565

Email: research@fleetairarm.com

DPS(N)2

Building 1/152

Victory View

PP36, HMNB

Portsmouth

PO1 3PX

Regards,

Bootneck

Other material with regard to his service will be held either at the Royal Fleet Air Arm Museum (his pre 1919 service) or the Ministry of Defence (for his post 1920 service or his whole service).

Not correct in this case. The FAAM will have all his papers. No point approaching the MOD as they have all been released. The FAAM papers stop, in theory, at 1925 first-enlistments but they include many re-enlistments up to 1936 and records of service stretching right through WW2 to the 1950s. This is a huge bonus for those researching Royal Marines. So much for WW2 records not having yet been released!

H2

Thank you for the info on the FAAM and MOD, as so far I have not got round to paying the FAAM a visit as most of my research is usually 18th & 19th century marines.

Cheers

Bootneck

Julie,

ADM 157/155 and 167 are available on microfilm at TNA. Some times trying to read the bottom right or left hand corners can be difficult as they have been well handled over time and are quite 'grimey' and not always film well. The originals are stored off sight so can take a couple of days.

According to ADM 157/155 John Newport was transferred to the Royal Marines Reserve and served in Defensively Armed Merchent Ships (DAMS) between October 1917 and September 1919. There are a number of threads about this on the forum.

regards,

Bootneck

thanks again bootneck and horatio2, i passed your info on to his daughter,she was thrilled because we were expecting to have to wait a year to gain any info from the FAAM. so thanks very much both of you julie

Julie,

ADM 157/155 and 167 are available on microfilm at TNA. Some times trying to read the bottom right or left hand corners can be difficult as they have been well handled over time and are quite 'grimey' and not always film well. The originals are stored off sight so can take a couple of days.

According to ADM 157/155 John Newport was transferred to the Royal Marines Reserve and served in Defensively Armed Merchent Ships (DAMS) between October 1917 and September 1919. There are a number of threads about this on the forum.

regards,

Bootneck

hi ,bootneck did john newport have any prefixes to his service numbers ,its so i can send for his details for his daughter from the faam,thanks julie

Julie,

His original register number was Plymouth/14464 but when he re-enlisted in 1920 he was given a new number Plymouth/20824. You should ask the FAAM to search under both numbers as his papers may be split between both.

H2

THANKS H2,I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU ON BEHALF OF HIS DAUGHTER FOR ALL YOUR QUICK REPLIES,ITS JUST DOWN TO WAITING FOR RECORDS NOW ,ABOUT A YEAR ,REGARDS JULIE

Julie,

You will have a reply much more quickly. The year quoted on the FAAM web-site is for people who wish to museum to undertake research for them. It will not take long to copy these papers and you will have them soon.