Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. W.R. Stennett

John Garnett

Hi,

I'm looking to find out some details relating to Lt. W.R. Stennett. All I have at the moment is from the CWGC website.

It states that he was in 202 Squadron and died on Saturday 4th May 1918, aged 22. He is buried at Dunkirk Town Cemetery.

Any more info or pointers in the right direction would be most welcome.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

LT. W R STENNETT was kia 4.5.1918 when in combat with 2 Albatros scouts near Bray Dunes, the DH4 crashed in sea.

Lt. J P EVRITT wia.

That day, 5N British planes were claimed in that region by Seefrontstaffel nr.2,

Regards,

Cnock

John

As Cnock says, Lt W R Stennett was killed in action when flying as observer in DH 4 N5985 on 4 May 1918. He had been wounded in action on 21 October 1917 when flying with Sqn Cdr P F M Fellowes in DH 4 N6389 of No 2 Sqn RNAS. Unfortunately, The DH 4/DH 9 File doesn't indicate the source of his wound.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks chaps, that's useful stuff. I'd love to know your references so I can source it for myself.

What is the DH4/DH9 file you refer to?

Is there no mention of his full name anywhere?

Thanks again,

John

John

The best sources for information on British Great War aviation casualties are:

The Sky Their Battlefield by Trevor Henshaw, ISBN 0 898697 30 2, which lists all casualties due to enemy action;

and

Airmen Died in the Great War by Chris Hobson; ISBN 0 871505 81 X, which has information on all members of the RNAS, RFC, RAF, AFC and WRAF who died.

The DH 4/DH 9 File by Ray Sturtivant and Gordon Page (ISBN 0 85130 274 2) is a listing of every DH 4, DH 9 and DH 9A built, with a very brief history of nearly all of them, plus lots more. It was published by Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd in 1999.

Good luck

Gareth

John

The DH 4/DH 9 File by Ray Sturtivant and Gordon Page (ISBN 0 85130 274 2) is a listing of every DH 4, DH 9 and DH 9A built, with a very brief history of nearly all of them, plus lots more. It was published by Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd in 1999.

I understand from another thread that Amazon have (or had) copies.

Good luck

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

He was William Reginald Stennett

He was a native of Calcott, Kent

Entered RNVR as a Sub Lt 10th Jan 1916

A w/t officer he completed the long w/t course in Sep 1916

And passed out at Eastchurch as an observer in Jun 1917

Became an Obs Sub Lt 30th May 1917

Killed in force landing at Bray Dunnes with battle damage in N5985 with Lt J P Everett on 4th May 1917

Gravestone inscription "Greater love hath no man than this"

Hope this helps

Duncan

Duncan,

Sorry to be a pest but can I check a couple of things?

Should I put his rank down as Sub Lt? (CWGC has him as a Lt).

I've assumed Obs is Observer. Can you confirm w/t for me? I've guessed at wireless transmitter but want to be sure.

Thanks again,

John

John

If I might jump in here, Sub Lt, or [Flight] Sub Lieutenant, was an RNAS rank. Your man would have changed to the Army-style RAF rank of Lieutenant on 1 April 1918 when the RFC and RNAS were amalgamated into the RAF.

Regards

Gareth

Gareth,

Thanks for that bit of info. So the Lieutenant was an army rank? I guess that would equate more to a Pilot Officer in the modern equivalent?

John

Duncan,

Sorry to be a pest but can I check a couple of things?

Should I put his rank down as Sub Lt? (CWGC has him as a Lt).

I've assumed Obs is Observer. Can you confirm w/t for me? I've guessed at wireless transmitter but want to be sure.

Thanks again,

John

Hi John,

w/t can mean either but in this context means he was trained in the use of wireless equipment and of course in Morse Code

Regards

Duncan

I guess that would equate more to a Pilot Officer in the modern equivalent?

John

Lieutenant would be equivalent to Flying Officer; a Second Lieutenant would be a Pilot Officer.

Cheers

Gareth

My understanding is that w/t (as a rank) at this time was wireless telegraphist.

obs= observer

Just to confuse you even more, if he had been a Ft Lieutenant in the RNAS, he would have been a captain in the RAF on formation; the modern Flight Lieutenant.

Thanks again for all the help.

The depth of all your knowledge amazes me.

A week ago I had little more than a surname and initials. Now I have a real pen picture. I shall go to the National Archives soon and get what I can from the AIR 76 RAF record and ADM 273 RNAS record.

Regards,

John