Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

army service corps

nlancs

Hi every one

Im new to the forum and wondered if anyone could help me, My Great grandfather served in the

Army service corps in the great war and survived on his medal card the regiment is recorded as T1/4133

does any one have any info on where this regiment was during the war as I only know he was in france.

His job before the war a horse cart driver and I understood he did this during the war.

thanks

Mark

Hi Mark and welcome to the Forum

The ASC was an enormous organisation and linking a soldier to unti is often impossible. However , from the prefix to his service number (T1) he was employed as a horse waggon driver and volunteered in the first few three months of the war

Stephen

Welcome to the forum Mark

Sometimes the medal roll gives a company number and then you can trace what that company did.

Hi here is my Great grandfather medal card

I hope it come out ok as not posted info this way before

post-26556-1193818252.jpg

can anyone tell anymore info from this and put me on the write track, as he never spoke about his experiences of the war

thanks

mark

Mark

Just to add a little bit to delta's contributions, if you go to Geoff's searche engine here:

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search2.php

enter T1/ in the box for service number and then take the cursor down in the Regiment/Corps box from United Kingdom to Army Service Corps then press search.

You will come up with a list of casualties -the earlier in the war that they died suggests that they were attached to Divisional trains.

Regards

Mel

I can't find my copy of Mike Young's Corps history at the moment - can some-one do a check for us?

Steohen

A lot of the 1914 Star Medal Rolls do state companies etc, even for the non-infantry units. Probably well worth a look at them at the National Archives.

Steve.

Hi

Thanks for the feed back so far, the 1914 star medal rolls are these viewable online or would I have to visit National archives at kew

with regards to the service number on my great grandfathers medal card does number represent a regiment or the individaul.

I be grateful for any more advise to put me on the write track

Thanks

Mark

Given that the first Kitcheners Divison's did not deploy until early 1915, I beloive he was probaably used as a battle

casualty replacement with one of the original ASC companies. Waggon photo to follow

Given that the first Kitcheners Divison's did not deploy until early 1915, I beloive he was probaably used as a battle

casualty replacement with one of the original ASC companies. Waggon photo to follow

Hi

that intresting as it narrow's down the number of possible companies he was in?

looking forward to seeing the waggon pic.

Mark