Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help needed

tonyblackpool

HI, WERE DO I GO FROM HEAR, i have tried all i know [very little] to trace info on this man he could be on ancestry .co.uk military, one of 4 joseph kirkham, but this is the reply from the KINGS OWN

ROYAL LANCASTER REGIMENT. Dear Mr Rodaway,

Thank you for your email concerning Number 2415 Private Joseph Kirkham of the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.

I'm afraid I cannot be very helpful. We have KirkHAM recorded as an Military Medal winner with the same London Gazette date as you have. We have an additional note that he was transferred to the Machine Gun Corps with the number 23768 - but nothing further.

I cannot even say which battalion of the King's Own he served with. I would guess from his number that it may have been the 1st/5th or 2nd/5th Battalion - however he is not listed in the battalion rolls we have for both the units. He may well have been a reservist with the number 2415 - but I cannot say anything for sure.

Those MM winners who are recorded in Battalion War Diaries are indexed in our archive, and he is not listed there either.

I'm sorry that I cannot be very helpful. PETER DONNELLY, CURATOR

SO ANY HELP PLEASE, THIS MAN EARNED THE RIGHT TO BE IN IS REGIMENT ARCHIVE REGARDS TONY

HI, WERE DO I GO FROM HEAR, i have tried all i know [very little] to trace info on this man he could be on ancestry .co.uk military, one of 4 joseph kirkham, but this is the reply from the KINGS OWN

ROYAL LANCASTER REGIMENT. Dear Mr Rodaway,

Thank you for your email concerning Number 2415 Private Joseph Kirkham of the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.

I'm afraid I cannot be very helpful. We have KirkHAM recorded as an Military Medal winner with the same London Gazette date as you have. We have an additional note that he was transferred to the Machine Gun Corps with the number 23768 - but nothing further.

I cannot even say which battalion of the King's Own he served with. I would guess from his number that it may have been the 1st/5th or 2nd/5th Battalion - however he is not listed in the battalion rolls we have for both the units. He may well have been a reservist with the number 2415 - but I cannot say anything for sure.

Those MM winners who are recorded in Battalion War Diaries are indexed in our archive, and he is not listed there either.

I'm sorry that I cannot be very helpful. PETER DONNELLY, CURATOR

SO ANY HELP PLEASE, THIS MAN EARNED THE RIGHT TO BE IN IS REGIMENT ARCHIVE REGARDS TONY

Tony heres one for starters

log onto:- Family History: WW1 Campaign Medals

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

Paul

Had a look on Ancestry. There are several Joseph Kirkhams but not one with either regiment number mentioned in your post.

Not on find my past either in the 'Soldiers died in the Great war' records.

Regards

hi , paul , joseph was first in the kings own 2415 then went into the M.G.C 23768 he won his mm in the kings own lancaster reg, ITS HIS BATTALION AND HOW HE WON HIS MM I NEED TO KNOW, if his own regiment dont have the info who do ? his medal card could have no more info than i have already. tony

Had a look on Ancestry. There are several Joseph Kirkhams but not one with either regiment number mentioned in your post.

Not on find my past either in the 'Soldiers died in the Great war' records.

Regards

hi ryegate, thanks for that , i am almost certain , joseph came home from the war, not on CWGC.

CHEERS TONY

OK Tony, thanks for letting me know. He could however, have been on Ancestry if awarded a pension although to be truthful, the 'pension' records appear to be service records in most cases with only a few (admittedly only those I have looked at) relating to pension applications. But maybe the service records was needed in order to apply for the pension and that's why they are referred to as pension records.

Regards

PS Could still be at Kew though, as I believe Ancestry does not have all those available ........................yet!

Did we discuss this before Tony?

I believe this is his MM Card. Have you downloaded it? It should have given his battalion.

Medal card of Kirkham, J

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Canadian Regiment attached Machine Gun Corps 2415

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/23

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

He won't be on the Royal Lancaster Regiment medal rolls - he will be on the MGC rolls. The 1914-15 Star Roll (if entitled) should show his first battalion if the MM card doesn't.

To my mind, he would almost certainly have transferred to the MGC in very early 1916.

Steve.

OK Tony, thanks for letting me know. He could however, have been on Ancestry if awarded a pension although to be truthful, the 'pension' records appear to be service records in most cases with only a few (admittedly only those I have looked at) relating to pension applications. But maybe the service records was needed in order to apply for the pension and that's why they are referred to as pension records.

Regards

PS Could still be at Kew though, as I believe Ancestry does not have all those available ........................yet!

hi ryegate, ,regarding ancestry fully agree with you my grandfathers records are on ancestry and i don't think he received a pension, i am waiting for a reply from the pensions her in bl/pool to see if they have records for Joseph, and take it from there, tony

Did we discuss this before Tony?

I believe this is his MM Card. Have you downloaded it? It should have given his battalion.

Medal card of Kirkham, J

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Canadian Regiment attached Machine Gun Corps 2415

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/23

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

He won't be on the Royal Lancaster Regiment medal rolls - he will be on the MGC rolls. The 1914-15 Star Roll (if entitled) should show his first battalion if the MM card doesn't.

To my mind, he would almost certainly have transferred to the MGC in very early 1916.

Steve.

hi steve, sorry , i missed you, you have the wrong joseph kirkham he was ln london gazette 16-11-1916 and won his mm with the royal lancaster regiment 2415 , we have discussed this before i was then trying to find one from three j kirkhams mm winners and i am down to two . cheers tony