Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Double Crassiers at Loos

Matt Dixon

Are these the two slag heaps that can still be seen when standing on the Vimy Ridge memorial?

Taking these as a point of reference where was the Hohenzollern Redoubt?

Yes, the two enormous spoil heaps are on the site of the Double Crassier, but are in cubic metre terms probably millions of times greater than they were in 1915. Viewed from Vimy, the site of the Hoenzollern is to the left a bit.

Were the Tower Bridge mine working destroyed in the battle, or did they survive the war to be removed afterwards?

Parts of the double crassier (as it was art the time of the war) can be found but one is never too sure how much of what you see dates from 1915.

The mines themselves were worked long after the great war. Someone will tell me I'm wrong, but I think this went on into the seventies. The Loos crassier is still their but the pithead was sealed and landscaped some time ago.

Last time I was there I only got the chance to stop at the memorial to the missing, and not to have a look round.

With the way it's built up now, it's impossible to get ones bearings from ground level....pretty much like it must have been then, except I wasn't being machine gunned at the time, so I suppose I haven't got an excuse really!

Modern day aerial photographs of the Loos battlefield are available on this link http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/the...chy/cuinchy.htm

Check the photograph 'Area north of Vermelles', it shows the position of Hohenzollern Redoubt and Loos.

regards

Richard

post-4-1074298071.jpg

excellent link, thanks

A picture of the Loos Tower Bridge before its destruction.

regards

Richard

post-4-1074345088.jpg

A map of the Loos battlefield.

regards

Richard

post-4-1074345268.jpg

According to 'The Battle of Loos' by Phillip Warner:

"Just beyond Loos there was a double pit-head which superficially resembled the London Tower Bridge. This gave excellent observation to the Germans and defied efforts by the British 18 pdrs to destroy it. When it came into British possession the German 5.9s made short work of it. 'Tower Bridge' was rebuilt after the war..."

regards

Richard

post-4-1074404292.jpg