Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of the Ancre

Old Chap

I am a bit cinfused regardinfg the 1st Kings Liverpool attack 13/11/16 during the Ancre battle. I think i'm right in saying they attacked from Redan Ridge to the Quadrilateral? Is this the Quadrilateral that is now Serre Rd No.2 cemetery, or was thee another Quadrilateral on Redan Ridge? My great uncle was killed while serving with the Kings during this action. Does anyone have any photo's i could possibly copy regarding this attack (new or old). I would gladly cover all costs.

25109 Pte Alfred Tattersall

1st Kings Liverpool

kia 15/11/16

The cemetery isn't on the site of the Quadrilateral, or the Heidenkopf as the Germans called it. It is to one side of it; some of the old British line actualy passes through one part of the cemetery.

There are some aerial shots (from German sources) of this area in my book Walking The Somme which should help you understand the ground here a little better.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me out. Paul, I have your book 'Walking the Somme' and it's a great read. Could I possibly obtain a copy of the photo on p36 showing the British/ German trenches and the Heidenkopf. My great uncle was killed attacking here with the 1st Kings, 15/11/16 and is buried in Serre Rd. no.2.

The 1st Kings Lpool War Diary says the follwoing,

'Of the 6th Brigade the 2nd S.Staffs on the left and the 13th Essex formed the front waves with the 17th Middlesex and 1st Kings providing the second waves. The objective of the 13th Essex and 1st Kings was through a strongly fortified position on the Northern Flank of Beaumont Hamel called the Quadrilateral lying in a hollow between the slpoes leading up to Serre on the left of Beaumont Hamel.'

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks to everyone that has helped me out. Paul, I have your book 'Walking the Somme' and it's a great read. Could I possibly obtain a copy of the photo on p36 showing the British/ German trenches and the Heidenkopf. My great uncle was killed attacking here with the 1st Kings, 15/11/16 and is buried in Serre Rd. no.2.

No problem - email me via the forum and I will sort you out with a copy.