Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Goodbye Old Man"

Dan Morton

Sorry Dan, no dimensions. I was too emotional at the time to take that in, but it was a beautiful memorial to the horses and the men who loved them. I'll check Frev's photo's to see what she captured.

Kim

Wow,that sure pulls at the heart strings.I've owned horses and dogs all my life,and to see them suffering always upsets me.

Karen

Ozzie, Glyn and Karen - Many thanks for your kind encouragement! That statue is life-size of possibly a little bigger and it's very interesting to me that the sculptor used a slightly different pose. I think I know why - because he or she thought it would look better when viewed from several different angles vs. Matania's single view in the illustration. I'm finding this is a bit of a problem always converting a 2 dimensional illustration to an effective 3 D vignette. I've done several now and found that they look better from some directions vs. downright dull from others or even, in one case, that nothing of interest could be seen from one direction. Hmmmm. Worth considering. The horse in the sculpture looks pretty well-fed to me. I don't think I want to do that. IMHO, it would look better, be more realistic and be more 'effective' if the horse appeared more under-fed and over worked. I'm still trying to collect more word and photo pictures of what I'd expect to see in a horse like that. Between GWF and the Military Horse forum, I hope to hear from enough horse owners/lovers that I'll get a really sound idea of what to portray.

All the best,

Dan

Dan - this is wonderful work. I have two separate copies of the Matina illustrations hanging on my bedroom wall - each slightly different - the black and white version (published in "The Sphere") is different from the colour version (by the Blue Cross), but only slightly. The slight difference is the angle of the soldiers head as he is cradling the head of the horse. I first saw this hanging in Toc House a few years ago and immediately fell in love with it.

It is a wonderful depiction of man's love for his horse and often his most trusted friend..... it really makes me cry to think of all those poor defenceless animals. The sheer terror on the face of the horse, and the sadness of the soldier.

I read somewhere about a young soldier whose company came under heavy shelling and unfortunately the horse was fatally wounded. Whilst the group took cover with shells going off all round, the soldier stayed soothing his horse as it was passing. The CO kept shouting at him to move - but he just could not leave the poor creature. When the horse eventually died and he caught up with the group who had taken cover, he thought he would be in for a ticking off. However, according to the story, when he later came face to face with his CO - the CO looked at him (in frustration) with compassion and said "if there were more people like you in this world, it would be a better place" - turned and left him standing speechless.

Well done for attempting this. I am looking forward to the finished piece.

And thank you Ozzie, those statues have me in tears.

Susan.

Beg to differ, Dan. ;)

The defined muscles suggest strain and previous hard work, whilst the ribs showing, suggests lack of feed.

Susan, that is one beautiful story.

Quote "if there were more people like you in this world, it would be a better place"

And so bloody true.

Kim

Ozzie, if i can find where i read it - will post the whole episode...

thanks again for those pics. Truly amazing animals. I love them all, no matter how big or small. Whoever wrote "man's best friend" certainly knew what they were saying. Probably anon.......

Susan.

At least someone cared for them. The Walers were put down if they were in this state, rather than be allowed to go to the locals. In the majority of cases, it was done by vets.

If a horse was still young enough and fit, he was sold as an army remount.

They are the oft forgotten ones, the poor buggars.

Kim

Susan, would appreciate that.

Kim

post-6083-1194171584.jpg

Susan and Kim - Many thanks for your comments! The horse is close to being finished (I think, I hope!) and I'll post some photos as soon as possible.

All the best,

Dan

I had to take these indoors yesterday. We had only grey overcast all day in Omaha. Anyways I apologize for the photos up front. Not my best.

I sent them to Mike Spivey, a horse owner and regular on an other forum, Planet Figure, who tells me everything is about right except the ears. I'm not entirely sure I understand what is wrong, but as near as I can deduce from his comments, he feels the openings of the ears should turn outwards, not straight up as I've done them and (I believe) as Matania painted them in the original illustration. Those of you who are horse owners - please get me straightened out on this and I'll fix them or leave them alone - whatever.

Mike has also convinced to add the gelding's "package", so that will be done later.

The surface of the horse doesn't look smooth in these photos, but it is actually very smooth, except for the ears, tail and mane, of course. In one of the photos the knee of the horse looks a bit too large. It is due to the angle at which the photo was taken. The knee I sculpted is the same size as the other knee that I didn't sculpt.

This is definitely WIP, so your constructive critique is very welcome!

This will take several posts to show you the photos. Bear with me...

post-4473-1194193295.jpg

post-4473-1194193304.jpg

All the best,

Dan

More photos...

post-4473-1194193485.jpg

post-4473-1194193507.jpg

And the last...

Again, your critique and comments are very welcome!

post-4473-1194193588.jpg

post-4473-1194193595.jpg

All the best,

Dan

Dan

Just wanted to add my encouragement to what will prove to be an incredibly moving and important project. Can't wait to see the finished work.

Paul

Many thanks, Paul! I just finished stiffening the armature of the figure, getting it in the right position, etc.

All the best,

Dan

It's coming on wonderfully Dan.

Well done.

Susan.

Kim. still looking, but getting nearer.... think i may have found it and will have to show myself up as what I think i now remember was probably a bit awry, but will post when i find it.

And those poor horses. As you say, poor *******. bless them all.

Thanks Susan! The horse is now complete. I have the artilleryman figure in the right pose and this weekend I hope to complete most of his uniform.

All the best,

Dan

Can't wait. I really love this one.

Susan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan,

I thought you might be able to give me advice, I've started sculpting WW1 figures in Scola Clay, which is fine but tends to crack - I'm currently planning to do some detailed 8 inch figures can you recommend a clay that'll suit this and can be dried at home (i.e. without a kiln?)

Cheers

Soren

Dan

Get on with it, I'm running out of patience. You've had, what, days since your original posting and I just can't wait for next my Old Friend Fix

Best regards

David

David - I'm sorry to disappoint. My only excuse is multiple distractions including a mild back injury, which is now starting to heal, thank goodness. As soon as I have something reasonable I'll post another WIP. I'm very glad you are interested, but I work slowly - sorry.

Soren - 1/8th scale is huge! Here's the site of an Australian pro that produces figures about 300mm in size. http://www.na-int.com/

I work in 1/16th mostly, but am trying some smaller scales. I recommend a couple 2-part air-drying putties. "MagicSculpt" and "ProCreate" (NO - that's really it's name.) But there are a lot more sculpting media to choose from on this site http://www.sculpt.com/. If the Compleat Sculptor doesn't have it, it isn't made. Marvelous source, but a little pricey sometimes. Once you know what you are looking for, I suggest you shop around. Those two are the only ones I use. For most things I use 50:50 MS. When I want fine detail, I combine the two at a ratio of about 7 parts MS:2 PC. I normally do not use PC by itself. I do not recommend buying a large quantity of any of these putties at first. Some 2-part putties I don't like - "Kneadatite" (aka "Duro") - it's like very sticky bubblegum. Some people swear by it, but I swear at it. "A+B" - wrong consistency for me - a bit too wet and it can separate sometimes.

A word of caution - all these air-drying putties contain oxirane or similar kinds of catalyst driers. I always use thin nitrile plastic gloves and a respirator in a room with good ventilation. When you cut, saw, grind, sand the dry putty surfaces, you should use a respirator and work in a room with good ventilation. I've been an industrial hygienist for 25 years (the Earth had just about cooled..) so you can rely on this. I've given advice about this on both Planetfigure and Timelines.forum.com and other miniatures sites. Oxirane normally causes a slowly progressive sensitization reaction - skin, eyes, mucous membranes, etc. As long as you use precautions, you should have no trouble.

One of the best oven-drying media to work with is SuperSculpey. I don't use it a lot, but some people achieve wonderful results with it.

The best site to teach yourself how to sculpt miniatures is definitely Planetfigure.

http://planetfigure.com/

Good luck!

All the best,

Dan

OK - some new pics - still very much WIP! No arms yet and many details still. I haven't gotten the location of the artilleryman exactly right yet. I may have to take that cap visor off and raise it or perhaps even re-do the cap altogether. The angle is wrong. It doesn't allow the viewer to see the eyes of the artilleryman. I want his cheek lying directly on the horse's head about mid-way between mouth and eye.

The horse is finished, I believe. At least I couldn't do better. I wanted the viewer to see the horse's ribs a bit with the entire rib cage a little up and out and slack muscles in the shoulders and thighs and not much remaining fat anywhere. Horse-owners...did I get there?

post-4473-1195411926.jpg

post-4473-1195412072.jpg

post-4473-1195412112.jpg

post-4473-1195412168.jpg

post-4473-1195412238.jpg

and last

post-4473-1195412302.jpg

Comments and critique very welcome!

All the best,

Dan

Fantastic piece of sculpting as ever Dan!

For me I'm quite glad you've chosen to portray a gunner with his old pal - it reminds me of a tale my granddad used to tell of his experiences in the RGA during the war. Apparently they used to bed-down with the horses when they could for extra warmth - one night a shrapnel burst caught and killed my granddad's horse; the horse had shielded him from the blast as he lay next to it. If it wasn't for that poor horse I may not have been here to write this message!

Very much looking forward to the finished piece of work!

cheers

Steve