Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

selling medals

Petroc

Ladies and gents;

I'm not sure of how appropriate this is to the forum but hope that some better-qualified folks could advise me. I have a moderate collection of around 200 WW1 campaign medals (singles, groups, LSGC etc) and am loathed to get rid of them, even though I stopped collecting them as a child twenty years ago...however, financial constraints mean that I'm now considering selling some (but not all); what is the best way to do this? I am aware of the current 'market value' but appreciate that a commercial dealer is likely to offer an understandably lower price; is online auction an option? or is simply 'private sale'? I only want these items to go to people who would appreciate them for the historic artifacts they truly are.

Hi Petroc, there could perhaps be some relatives here on the forum who I'm sure would be interested...any in the name of Woodhouse or the fellas below in my signature?

cheers, Jon

I fear that any attempt to list what you propose selling here would result in an undignified bun-fight.

Love it, or hate it, placing medals for sale in an online Auction gives everyone a fair chance of obtaining a particular medal. It also detaches you from the sale, so you are not faced with pleas that one person has any stronger claim to it that anyone else.

I would suggest a new post listing what you intend selling (maybe just the name and Regt), which website you intend placing them on and when. Then sit back and let things run their natural course. I have never done that myself, so you would have to check Chris' Forum Rules at the top of the page to ensure it was done the right way.

Regards

Steve

Any attempt to place names etc of the medals you intend to sell, on the forum will almost certainly result in the thread being deleted as this is against forum rules. You could either try to sell them via one of the medal auction houses or prehaps one of the online auction sites .

ebay them. don't split them and give the right descriptions and you will make you money back.

Mick

Hello Petroc,

You are correct. A dealer wouldn't give you top price but you wouldn't have to bother with lots of small auctions on Ebay either. I'd suggest not consigning them to an auction house as you'll get ripped off with the seller's fee.

Ebay is probably your best best for maximizing your assets if you do it right- don't flood the market with lots of medals to the same unit at the same time and don't put in job lots with mixed medals here or there- they generally put off collectors as we're only interested in one or two in the lot so won't pay what they are really worth individually. Keep the groups to the same individual together though and any 'family' groups as well. Take good quality photos and if you can include ones of the naming.

The last time we had a 'hoard' like this mentioned on the forum ( found as a boot sale), things got very nasty and it turned into an unpleasant feeding frenzy. I strongly advise you not to list what you have on forum and ignore all the vultures who will undoubtedly be contacting you to see if you have any to this or that regiment. Our behaviour last time showed the worst aspects of collectors and I'd much rather wait until they appear on ebay or a dealer's website than have you go through that experience.

If family members are interested in seeking medals then they should be able to find them if/when you put them on eBay/at a dealer.

Best regards,

Matthew (also on the BMF)

lots of detractors on here but many will admit they have never bought or sold on the site, its always served me very well.

mick

Beware of friendly offers "to take them off your hands". I would go the eBay route, but it would be worth your while to see what similar medals are selling for - you'd be surprised!

Thank you for all your helpful replies; and no; they will never be sold as a 'job lot'. To me, my 14-15 trio to Capt in the ASC is as important enough historically as my single 'Victory' to some guy who fell at xxxxxmdaele with the Bumshires!

Give us a shout when you put them on... especially trios to 8 KOYLI.

Mick

Hello Petroc,

and ignore all the vultures who will undoubtedly be contacting you to see if you have any to this or that regiment. .

Best regards,

Matthew (also on the BMF)

:angry2:

Thats a bit harsh - Ive collected medals and researched the Coldstream Gds for over 20 years and spent hundred of hours looking and trying to reunite medals that the family probably split up in the first place

Ive sent a PM asking if any coldstream medals and offering info on any medals to the CG that the seller may have - they can ignore me being a "vulture" or except my offer of help

Vultures! I would be insulted if I wasn't so thick skinned.

Mick (definately not now on the BMF, members obviously self righteous high horsed bunch)

Definitely eBay or Speedbid. The latter is smaller and friendlier but unlikely to reach the largest audience. If you cannot be bothered to do this yourself there are recognised people who would do it for you for a fee. Unless you need the money quickly sell them in groups (never split) and as mentioned previously, not a lot to the same regiment at once. This allows an avid collector to that regiment to buy within budget each time that they are offered. If you don't want the hassle of selling to overseas bidders you can restrict the purchaser to be UK based but may miss out on the highest bid possible.

Vultures :angry2:

If I see any 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters medals, I will bid for them. I do not collect medals (or anything for that matter) but as I have researched the battalion for a number of years. I would rather pay to see them safe and if possible together. Once I pop my clogs they will be given to an organisation that will care for them and not re-sell them.

stevem

Thats a noble idea in theory Steve, but sadly there is no such organisation that would hold onto your medal collection forever. Once they have been donated that organisation has the right to do as they wish with the medals. You can never predict who may take charge of an organisation, that person may have a very low opinion of medals. That is why so many medals are on loan to museums, so they cannot be disposed of. Better to pass them onto a younger like minded collector who will care for them as you have.

As for how to dispose of a collection........if you dont have anything really fantastic like DSO, DCM groups then I think best price will be obtained on eBay. The collectors will come to you. If you dont already have one, a good digital camera will serve to obtain a better price.

Steve.