Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1-related things to do in central London

burlington

I have half an afternoon free in central London next week.

Not enough time for the IWM or NAM.

Ideas anyone please

Thanks

Martin

The various memorials Horseguards/Hyde Park/St James Park

Chris

Yes, quite agree with Chris that the Hyde Park corner area is great - MGC Mem, Artillery Mem and the RND and Guards Mems - also Haig and the Cenotaph to visit in Whitehall and the Unknown Warrior - plus a number of sometimes dodgy modern memorials.

Or away from memorials, many a happy hour can be spent bookshop trawling in central London (usually without success :rolleyes: ).

Yes I agree. Charing Cross Road bookstores and there's a medal and militaria shop in Cecil Court, next door. A quick look at Edith Cavel's memorial, tea in the National Portrait Gallery cafe - all in close proximity.

Gunner Bailey

I would of course slip into 'The Dolphin Tavern' in Holborn where you can combine having a pint with First World War history: perfect! They have on the wall in there a burnt out clock which is stopped at exactly 10.40 This is the when the pub was hit by a bomb from a Zeppelin raid in late 1915. Below the clock they have the photo of the bomb damaged pub after the raid with a small inscription. Well worth a visit and something a bit different from the usual museums and memorials. It's on Red Lion Street by the way.

Martin,

not Great War but Second World War try to get your mits on a copy of walking the London Blitz by fellow Forum Pal Clive Harris which offers a number of excellent walks in Central London.

regards,

Scottie.

I would of course slip into 'The Dolphin Tavern' in Holborn where you can combine having a pint with First World War history: perfect! They have on the wall in there a burnt out clock which is stopped at exactly 10.40 This is the when the pub was hit by a bomb from a Zeppelin raid in late 1915. Below the clock they have the photo of the bomb damaged pub after the raid with a small inscription. Well worth a visit and something a bit different from the usual museums and memorials. It's on Red Lion Street by the way.

Linked to this is a building in Farringdon Road that has a plaque on it commemorating the building being destroyed by a bomb from a Zepplin (probably the same raid) and there being a number of fatal casualties.

Gunner Bailey

Thanks everyone for all your very helpful suggestions.

They should certainly keep me busy, though probably I will have to be selective.

Regards

Martin

Dont forget the railway memorial at whichever mainline station you are coming through. There is a fine memorial outside Euston, the GWR Memorial at Paddington (superb CS Jagger statue), and the arch at Waterloo for example.

Liverpool St Station with the GER memorial, The Fryatt memorial & the Field Marshall Wilson memorial

Chris

St Clement Danes the RAF church may have Great War interest

Chris