Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Convalescent photos

Kitty VAD

Digging through my photo collection I came across two pictures. They show soldiers in Hospital Blue Uniform and VADs looking after them.

I'm curious, they don't seem terribly physically wounded and I wonder if their injuries are psychological rather than physical? Any ideas on the cap badge of the chap at the front most welcome!

K

soldiersatrest.jpg

VADwithsoldiers.jpg

OK then Kitty VAD I'll be the first to have a go with the cap badges,

1st photo chap in the middle I think Lincolnshire Yeomanry and the chap on his left possibly the Paschal Lamb of the Queen Regt. There's something about their postures in this photo, I'm inclined to say that they're amputees apart from the chap with the Queens badge.

Artillery on the 2nd photo, RFA, RGA, RHA or one of several territorials it's impossible to say. Of course I stand to be corrected on all counts, hope this helps,

cheers, Jon

Kitty VAD

Whatever their injuries were, apart from psychological, they could well be in the final stages of convalescence.

The soldier's badge in the second photo looks like Royal Artillery.

Tony

The fellow on the extreme right of the second photo may well be blind. Poultry-keeping was taught to maimed soldiers to enable them to make a living, though this may simply be a snap taken in the hospital grounds.