Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

lower case versus ...

Muerrisch

Pals, a plea.

A plea for lower case in subject headings, and indeed in your posts, except for first letters of proper nouns, beginnings of sentences, and abbreviations.

Why? Because it is a well-known fact that lower case, thus capitalised, is much more easily assimilated.

Example? Why Are Road Signs Thus?

You will find if you SHOUT ALL THE TIME, no-one will take it in, and turn off.

When I speed-read down the new entries list each day, my eye and brain glaze over the wall-to-wall capitals. Certainly if you want me and people like me [should there be any] to read on, eschew them so that they retain their I M P A C T.

I agree with LB1418. It is indeed very hard to read texts in capitals and it is unpolite according to the netiquette because it is seen as shouting.

Regards,

Jan

I wouldnt normally bother about this sort of thing but thinking LB to be wrong i just tried a test and stuff me he is right.

Arm.

I wouldnt normally bother about this sort of thing but thinking LB to be wrong i just tried a test and stuff me he is right.

Arm.

it doesn't often happen, so, thanks!

it doesn't often happen, so, thanks!

David

But in this case, a very well researched concept with the advertising industry. Not possible here but the greatest impact is a light coloured lower case on a dark background (perhaps white on black). And I agree with your original point.

John

Certainly if you want me and people like me [should there be any] to read on, eschew them so that they retain their I M P A C T.

Whilst I agree with LB, it does raise the question of why more people don't use italics. Is there a grammatical reason?

And those people that leave the Caps lock on, on your keyboard, are as antisocial as those retards who drive round with their fog lights on all the time.

Bring back flogging........

I can't read either without my glasses on, so it doesn't make any difference to me!

And there was me thinking this was a debate about pessimism vs optimism, lower case vs upper case, half full or half empty.....perhaps my precription needs strengthening. :blink:

for someone who has been told off a few times here for SHOUTING which i had never heard of until i joined this forum----------i cant see what difference it makes as long as the heading is larger than the rest of the message, wether it should be in capitals or little letters, as long as the message gets across thats what counts.

for some thicky like me who can only type with one finger, its a bit irritating to keep swopping and changing, its hard enough to find the letters sometimes, and no offence intended to anyone.

nigel

Its known as 'netiquette' it applies to website, chat rooms, email, news groups, forums - the whole shooting match globally

There are lots of site about this on the web but take a peek here -

http://www.tesco.net/netguide/aboutthenet/.../netiquette.htm

Ryan

no offence ryan and anybody else honestly but here goes i know i am going to upset somebody but -----------nobody gets hurt -------the message gets across-------we all help each other out on this site---------who really cares about the size of letters afterall these are not proffesional legally binding letters are they-------what would our relatives who were dodging bullets or not dodging bullets in some cases think of us picking faults on the size of somebodies typing---------i can tell you they would proberly turn their guns on us.

nigel

I am deaf in my left ear. Could you all type the first half of every line in capitals and the rest in lowercase? Then everyone's a winner.

I thank you.

I understand where you are coming from Nigel but you have to admit it does look nicer :)

The etiquette of not typing in solid capitals was a very early development of the internet. And, in my opinion, with good reason.

You don't need capitals to attract attention. You can use smart wording, smilies, images, etc to attract attention. There is no need to type your headings in caps, either.

Among the technical facilities of the forum - one that in this case I have disabled - is for it to detect headings that are capitalised, and turn them into lower case. I have disabled it because it cannot recognise acronyms, and this is a subject where there are plenty.

And for the argument about 'switching' between caps and lower case being difficult for poor typists... I would rather you post entirely in lower case than entirely in upper case.

From someone who is slightly Dis**** what ever its called, I find it easyer to read lower case but I do not not want to stop people doing it their way.

Re: subject headings - can I just point out that most [perhaps all] family history mailing lists constantly request that surnames should always be in capitals, to make them easier to identify and to avoid confusion with first names, e.g.

Grace VALENTINE or Valentine GRACE

Charles THOMAS or Thomas CHARLES

It's a much clearer form for names - and I think a good reason for some capitals in headings.

Regards - Sue

when i joined the forum i typed everything in capitals and was always getting told off by John Hartley (for one).but i carried on.then i got told off by the big boss CHRIS.when i tried to read one of my own postings he was right,it hurt my eyes !!so now with my poor one fingered typing (like NIGEL) i type in lower case,(most of the time,i still forget occasionally).

Steven :D

I think that capital letters are more difficult to read than lower case, and the use of capitals may inhibit the response you would like.

Consider this - the forum has so many postings nowadays that even with broadband I cannot find the time to read them all. I concentrate on those with subject titles of interest to me, with a sprinkling of others to keep me in touch with forum people and activities. I initiate some posts, and I do my best to help other posters. Faced with time pressures, and the choice between an easily read title and something that's a bit more difficult, which is likely to be chosen?

If I miss out on an interesting posting, or one where I could have helped the poster, then that is very definitely my loss. But when the essay deadline is pressing...........................

when i joined the forum i typed everything in capitals and was always getting told off by John Hartley (for one).but i carried on.then i got told off by the big boss CHRIS.

You see, mate !

If you'd just listened to me in the first place............. ;)

John

when i joined the forum i typed everything in capitals and was always getting told off by John Hartley (for one).but i carried on.then i got told off by the big boss CHRIS.

You see, mate !

If you'd just listened to me in the first place............. ;)

John

SORRY i'm off to eat a portion of thet rather delicious humble pie i've seen in the fridge !!

Steven :ph34r: