Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was the role of HMS Pembroke II pre Great War

The Guardroom

Hi,

Been seraching under HMS Pembroke II to understand what this shore establishment was, Hhowever not be able to find out what role it had pre WW1 and around its final establishment in 1902.

I have found a Gt Grandfather passed through it after Stoker training and not sure what he would have been doing at this base ?

On all occasions they were very short, so at a guess was it perhaps a holding place before detailing to a new ship ?

On the 1st occassion he was there for 14 days, then back 2 years later for 8 days (3 of them in the cells), then back a month later for 20 days.

Many thanks,

Alan

I think Pembroke II was the shore establishment at Sheerness (The Nore) and as well as a Naval dockyard was the Naval gunnery school.

Regards,

Jon S

Just found this post from Terry Denham from way back in 2003:

Quote:

HMS Pembroke II was RNAS Eastchurch, Sheppey, Kent - June 1913 to 01.04.18 when it was turned over to the RAF.

Shore stations were often named after a nearby main base but differentiated by the addition of 'II' or 'III' etc. Pembroke II moved to Chatham as an Accounting Base 1940-57.

These shore bases often moved (at least the name moved!). HMS Pembroke started life at Forth, then at Harwich before moving to Chatham. Also they could have units in several different locations at once. The following existed at various times 1919 to post-WW2

Pembroke III was in London

Pembroke IV was at Chatham/Great Yarmouth/Nore

Pembroke V was at Dover/London

Pembroke VI was at Chatham/Lerwick

Pembroke VII was at Grimsby

Pembroke VIII was at Humber

Pembroke X was at Lowestoft

The full details of the thousands of RN shore bases worldwide over the years are to be found in "Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy" by Lt Cdr B.Warlow RN. Published second edition in 2000 by Maritime Books ISBN 0 907771 73 4 (Tel 01579 343663)

Unquote

Although I believe I have heard of the gunnery school at Sheerness also referred as Pembroke II.

Regards,

Jon S

There is no connection between Pembroke II and President II other than they were both shore establishments.

According to Lt Cdr Warlow 'Shore Establishments of the RN' the name Pembroke II was not in use pre 1913. Pembroke was primarily used for the Chatham barracks and men would return there between ships for leave, training and admin. These are administrative entities and were initially actual ships, but that became nominal.

Pembroke was at Forth 1856-58, Harwich 1858-69, a bit off topic: Nore from 1869

Thanks per ardua per mare per,

On Edward's record it definately says Pembroke II and its earliest date is 1 Apr 1904. He left the RN in Feb 1909, which tends to conflict with this book ?

Where in fact is the NORE ?

As both the ship and the baracks and the barracks appear to have been in commission at the same time, presumably I & II then meant 1 and the other and the system hadn't kicked in.

The Nore is Medway command.

I have a Great Uncle who was a Stoker too. He spent 3 periods of training at Pembrook II in Chatham. Jan 1905 (after initial traing on HMS Acheron), Feb - Aug 1911( promoted to Leading Stoker), and July - Aug 1914. I have found this from his service record.

• 7 years later...

Hello everyone

Just been looking at one of my relations and his military service .

His name was Albert Preston, a Stoker class 2 and on rejoining after leave from HMS PEMBROKE "2" he slipped on a frosty grate(?) and fell overboard and drowned.in either 1907 or 1908

cheers

John

• 7 years later...

I appreciate it has been a long time for this thread, but having found it I thought I'd share my small bit of information.

My GGF was a carpenter's mate for most of his working life and lived in Devonport.

I have his original parchment service record, so (where legible) it seems an accurate record. 

His last ship seems to be HMS Grafton which he disembarked on 19 Feb 1896.

The next day, 20 Feb 1896, he is recorded as Pembroke II - and there is an annotation on the far right that says Shore Pensioned. He was 45 yo at this time. It also coincides with the whole family moving to Gillingham, and my own GM was the last and only child born (in 1897) in Gillingham rather than Devonport. There are a couple of other notes re "Shore at own request" which are perhaps when he moved the family up, or perhaps when one of his children died in 1899. And in 1899 a note that says "Shoreterm of RFR" which I take to mean Royal Fleet Reserve. Dates are recorded annually until April 1905 which would have brought him up to almost 55. I am slightly puzzled by all of this as his record shows him as always Very Good, and he appears to have been in decent health, he lived to almost 70. It's a puzzle why they seem to have given him lighter duties so early. If anyone has any info on what would be normal I'd be interested to know.

As for the gunnery school idea, which now seems well known, but I'd add that he would have previously worked on gunnery training ships in Devonport. Perhaps this is what becomes of a ships carpenter in the age of ironclad ships - patching up holes so they can be destroyed again the next day. 

Chris.

2 hours ago, Chris11 said:

I appreciate it has been a long time for this thread, but having found it I thought I'd share my small bit of information.

My GGF was a carpenter's mate for most of his working life and lived in Devonport.

I have his original parchment service record, so (where legible) it seems an accurate record. 

His last ship seems to be HMS Grafton which he disembarked on 19 Feb 1896.

The next day, 20 Feb 1896, he is recorded as Pembroke II - and there is an annotation on the far right that says Shore Pensioned. He was 45 yo at this time. It also coincides with the whole family moving to Gillingham, and my own GM was the last and only child born (in 1897) in Gillingham rather than Devonport. There are a couple of other notes re "Shore at own request" which are perhaps when he moved the family up, or perhaps when one of his children died in 1899. And in 1899 a note that says "Shoreterm of RFR" which I take to mean Royal Fleet Reserve. Dates are recorded annually until April 1905 which would have brought him up to almost 55. I am slightly puzzled by all of this as his record shows him as always Very Good, and he appears to have been in decent health, he lived to almost 70. It's a puzzle why they seem to have given him lighter duties so early. If anyone has any info on what would be normal I'd be interested to know.

As for the gunnery school idea, which now seems well known, but I'd add that he would have previously worked on gunnery training ships in Devonport. Perhaps this is what becomes of a ships carpenter in the age of ironclad ships - patching up holes so they can be destroyed again the next day. 

Chris.

@horatio2might be able to advise. 

The VG (Very Good) indicates his Conduct, not his health.

Yes I know. Thanks though.

Chris, Your GGF's service appears to be well before WW1, so it is outside the remit of this GWF.

If you can post his name, number and p.o.b./d.o.b. I will see if your enquiry can be handled by PM.