Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid

Halder

I'm writing a 90th anniversary supplement for Navy News on the Zeebrugge raid of April 1918. I'm pretty well served by British accounts (published and unpublished) but not so the German side. Can anyone point me in the right direction (if there are any)? Many thanks.

I'm writing a 90th anniversary supplement for Navy News on the Zeebrugge raid of April 1918. I'm pretty well served by British accounts (published and unpublished) but not so the German side. Can anyone point me in the right direction (if there are any)? Many thanks.

This may be what your looking for!

The Keyes Papers: Selections from the Private and Official Correspondence of Admiral of the Fleet Baron Keyes of Zeebrugge by Paul G. Halpern

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0013-8266...%3E2.0.CO%3B2-B

Paul

its worth a look on Ebay - there are a number items that may be helpful

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll...title=Zeebrugge

Paul

Paul's suggestions seem to relate to English-language sources. I would agree with Michael in recommending Deborah Lake's "Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids 1918", which draws inter alia on German sources not available to the writers of contemporary British accounts and little used in later books on the raid. Belgian pals with a particular interest in the coastal sector, such as Cnock and Regulus 1, may also be able to help with photographs, references to Belgian sources, and pointers to German material, which is perhaps better known in Belgium than it is here.

I would recommend you look at Naval Operation by Newbolt, people often over look it.

There do not appear to be any German short Official Histories which cover it (I've checked). I will check Der Weltkrieg tonight.

I don't have the relevant volumes for the Krieg Zur See, has any other member got them?

Regards

Mart

PS Its a great pity the mole is no longer there, I remember going on a tour for the 75 Anniversary and it was very good, and you could still see all the damage.

Thanks for the input everyone. I've had a quick look through Deborah Lake's book and she mentions German documents at the Royal Marines Museum which is handy as it's in Pompey. There are a handful of mentions in Rupprecht's diary, but not a lot else in the accounts of senior officers.

Thanks for the input everyone. I've had a quick look through Deborah Lake's book and she mentions German documents at the Royal Marines Museum which is handy as it's in Pompey. There are a handful of mentions in Rupprecht's diary, but not a lot else in the accounts of senior officers.

Halder,

Here's one for you to try:

The British Assault on the German bases Ostend and Zeebrugge ; Schultz, Karl, Captain, German Navy, < ; retired>

Autor(en) Schultz, Karl

Verlagsort Annapolis: U.S. Naval Inst.

Erscheinungsjahr (1929)

Umfang S. 573-585. 8"

Anmerkung Aus: United States Naval Institute Proceedings. 55,7

You're right. I looked through the German library system, and at least initialy this is the only thing I found written by a German....(!)

Paul

Halder

I have had a look at what I hold, but have nothing useful to offer personally, but I checked www.zvab.com, tapped in a search for Zeebrugge and came up with 160 titles for sale. One of these at a snip of a price from a dealer in the US is Bartz Karl Der englische Angriff auf die deutsche U-Boot-Basis Berlin 1938. Nearly 200 pages. From the date it could bear the taint of Nazism, but it ought to contain a few insights as well.

Jack

Halder

I have had a look at what I hold, but have nothing useful to offer personally, but I checked www.zvab.com, tapped in a search for Zeebrugge and came up with 160 titles for sale. One of these at a snip of a price from a dealer in the US is Bartz Karl Der englische Angriff auf die deutsche U-Boot-Basis Berlin 1938. Nearly 200 pages. From the date it could bear the taint of Nazism, but it ought to contain a few insights as well.

Jack

Thanks Paul and Jack. I've just ordered Bartz' book from abebooks. What a useful website! I have a fear it will be a Nazi celebration of Germanic heroes. Bartz wrote a few books post WW2 which are very much in the manner of high on style and glory, low on facts. Still, something is better than nothing.

I have four historical supplements to work on for 2008:

Royal Naval Division and the March Offensive

Zeebrugge Raid

Royal Naval Division and the 100 Days to Victory

Der Tag

I've got quite a collection of senior figures' diaries/letters, but the really frustrating thing is many don't cover some of the key periods. Albert Hopman spent 1918 in the Crimea, so he's out of the picture for High Seas Fleet affairs, Lyncker was ill for most of the spring, Pless' letters/diaries are pretty scant for the whole of the year. Fortunately, Rupprecht was a keen chronicler, and Foerster's book on Ludendorff's collapse is excellent, as is Thaer's diary, but there are still some gaps I'm trying to plug.

BTW, did Navy News reach you in France, Jack? I don't have a great deal of faith in Royal Mail... especially when there's a strike on. :unsure: If it didn't, I'll pop another one in the post (with the same caveat that it might not actually get there!)

Sadly I have not seen it, though I should still like to if it would not be too much trouble. I shall let you know as soon as anything arrives. Once you get on to specifics of material needed for your forthcoming work, let me know and I shall see what I can dig out. I am just waiting to see the proofs of the Vimy book and am in the throes of Cambrai already, but there is always a bit of time to spare.

Jack

Sadly I have not seen it, though I should still like to if it would not be too much trouble. I shall let you know as soon as anything arrives. Once you get on to specifics of material needed for your forthcoming work, let me know and I shall see what I can dig out. I am just waiting to see the proofs of the Vimy book and am in the throes of Cambrai already, but there is always a bit of time to spare.

Jack

I shall send another copy; in the interim, there's an electronic version here on page 44

• 3 weeks later...
Halder

Jack

Bartz's book has now arrived. As I suspected it's a bit of tubthumping, drum-and-trumpets affair with no sources given and at times it seems to stray into what I would call "faction". Still, it's better than nothing which is what I had before. And it is excellently illustrated which comes in very handy. With the article Paul kindly sent and a day at the Royal Marines Museum in the new year, I should be sorted.

Hi,

Trutzig und Treu

Kämpfe der Deutschen Marine an Flanderns Küste 1914-1918

Admiral Jacobsen

Behr's Verlag, Berlin 1935

Regards,

Cnock

Thanks for the tip. The British Library has a copy luckily.

Jacobsen's book arrived today courtesy of the BL/Hampshire Library (excellent service!). At a first glance, much better than the Bartz book. Less tubthumping, sources used, first-hand accounts, good images. A little gem! Thanks for the tip Cnock!

Halder, could you perhaps post a review of Jacobsen's book when you've finished it. I'd be especially interested in hearing what it covers — and in particular whether there's anything that might help clarify the fate of Brock.

I am afraid there is nothing in the book that refers to the fate of Brock.

Cnock