Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roulers to Ypres Railway

Max

I am going to Ypres in the spring and want to visit the site of the trenchline held by 1/KOYLI on May 8th 1915. Using the two maps attached, one modern and the other a sketch made at the time, could someone in the know point out on the modern map where the railway actually ran as I am having difficulty comparing one to the other. I have this sinking feeling that the point I am looking for is under the A19 :angry:

Andy

post-8-1074210064.jpg

Andy.

The N37 follows the route of the railway.

Dave.

Max,

At Hellfire Corner it is the ay to the A19 motorway. This road was build on th ethrace of the old Ieper Roeselare railway. I am particularly interested in that day. British had extremely heavy casualties that day. Am I right in assuming that the 1st map is bigger? Is there mention of the KIng's Own Royal Lancaster's?

Jacky

Thanks Dave,

Wouldn't you credit it, they've built a ruddy great junction over the top of the position. It looks like I will be dodging traffic whilst paying my respects.

This is what it looked like in 1919.

Thanks again

Andy

post-8-1074213660.jpg

Not relevant for your visit perhaps, but further on by Tyne Cot the bed of the Ypres-Roulers railway is now a bridle path. I followed the attack of 3/5th Lancashire Fusiliers on 9th October 1917 along it a couple of years ago. It is quite atmospheric (and muddy) particularly when it goes through cuttings.

Mark

Thanks for the info. I wasn't intending going that far up but I might well have an explore.

Thanks

Jacky

I have a whole raft of info and reports for the 83rd Brigade 1st May to 13th May and I will look it up when I get home from work.

Andy