Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary

Sue Light

Hi Sue,

After hearing about your project for a while now, its brilliant to finally see your efforts on line. I'm 'dead proud of ya'!!

Well done.

Aliex

Sue

When /if you add a separate page, please leave the notes on the same pages as the individuals that they describe. I always find it much more readable to look immediately at the information than to flick to another page.

By the way you have inspired me to speed up with my WW2 diary transcription. I just wish the words weren't so small.

Regards

Myrtle

Barbara

Let me know if you find any RAMC men with incorrectly spelt surnames - the writing is very scrawly, and it's been a bit of an effort to make sure I've got the 'top brass' Burtchaell/Birrell/Lyden-Bell/Guise-Moores type names correct.

Regards ----- Sue

No problem, I am more than happy to help out.

Barbara

I hope to add a couple of months a week at present, and as the months get longer, at least one a week - unfortunately I have to leave the house occasionally to earn a living :mellow:

I think the size is difficult to grasp - probably best described as the length of about 15 novels all bound together - I wonder if 1&1 Internet will fold under the pressure!

Myrtle - the footnotes could be more extensive, but I thought I would leave the very obvious ones for people to work out for themselves - but I've already added a couple after pleas from readers. At first I left Prince Maurice of Battenberg to his own devices, but relented after a friend begged for a mention for him! I also realise that I've only noted them at the first mention, which might make it difficult for anyone to pick up on the 'regulars' when they just dip in later [which is what people will do of course]. I might add some of those to a separate page.

Selena

There is a file/service record at The National Archives under the name of Veir Scott [WO399/7420] - surely the right woman with such an unusual name.

Barbara

Let me know if you find any RAMC men with incorrectly spelt surnames - the writing is very scrawly, and it's been a bit of an effort to make sure I've got the 'top brass' Burtchaell/Birrell/Lyden-Bell/Guise-Moores type names correct.

And thanks to the man with the Army Lists/Who's Who etc., who answers my pleas for assistance - despite his reputation, he hasn't asked me for payment yet :rolleyes:

Regards ----- Sue

Hi Sue, Thank you for the file number on Veir Scott. I appreciate your help. Selena

• 4 weeks later...

Sue

I've just noticed this (I've not had much time for the forum of late).

This is really interesting and I've added it to my bookmarks. Thanks for all the hard work which must have gone into this.

Regards

Mike S