Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

X Corps 3/9/1916

Tony Lund

Was X Corps commanded by Lieutenant General Sir Thomas Lethbridge Napier Morland on September 3rd 1916?

My personal feeling is that it was, but there are references to General Jacobs being in command at this time. I think there was probably a change in command around this time, but that is just an opinion.

I would like to know with certainty who was in command of X Corps on this date - Jacobs or Morland?

Thanks,

Tony.

"Orders of Battle" has Morland as GOC X Corps, 15.7.15 to 15.4.18, with Jacob at II Corps, 28.5.16 to Armistice.

Jacobs was def in charge of II Corps.

Arm

Here's a thing. Looking through the OH, and then checking with Orders of Battle, it seems that Morland actually took charge of XIV Corps for a spell while Cavan was unwell: 17.8 - 10.9.16. No stand-in is identified for X Corps, but by that time I believe they weren't in the Somme area - they had handed over to II Corps on 24.7.16. I think the absence of X Corps from the area indicates it is very unlikley that Jacob was looking after them.

Don't know where X Corps was at the time, though.

Without looking up the Corps WD, I can tell you that 41 Div were with X Corps between mid May to 23rd august 1916 in Flanders - southern side of Y Salient.

Then they moved to the Somme and joined XV Corps until 20 Oct.

At this point they moved back to Flanders (to the St Eloi sector) to rejoin X Corps where and with whom they stayed for almost a year.

So, we're looking at a two month period where I wonder if X Corps was exactly (or v nearly) in the same place it was before and after that two month gap !!