Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Thomas E Collins MM S Staffs and RAMC

KIRKY

I am helping the surviving son of above soldier who is very ill and wants further information on his fathers service.

His father was initially in S Staffs no 1808 and transferred to RAMC before the war started.

He joined RAMC no 421061 and was in 1/3 N Field Ambulance attached to 46th Div,

I have seen his MM citation which says he showed considerable bravery ay Gommercourt and later on 3/3/1917 and the MM was awarded for his actions at Lieven on 23/24/April. 1917.

His son says that he was recommended for a VC but papers were lost in a ship?

Anyone supply further info so I can pass this on to his proud son.

tony

I have a transcription of the 3rd NMFA War Diary for May-July 1st 1916 if this is of any interest? The 3rd NMFA ran the Main Dressing Station during the Gommecourt attack on 1st July.

I have a transcription of the 3rd NMFA War Diary for May-July 1st 1916 if this is of any interest? The 3rd NMFA ran the Main Dressing Station during the Gommecourt attack on 1st July.

That would be great,

Tony

• 3 years later...
Guest Swallowman

My late grandfather was 1129 Sjt. John Powis DCM who also served in the 1/3 FA attached to the 46th N Midlands division. I have his medal and discharge certificate signed by the King and would be interested to see the transcript if it is still available please.