Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit W Camp Hospital 40. Knotty Ash.

4thGordons

I have recently obtained a reasonably complete list of members of my local county (in the US) who served in WWI. Upon investigation I have discovered that several appear to have died and been buried in the location of "Unit W" Base Camp Hospital, Notty Ash. Several, but not all, are influenza cases and they include at least one woman (Geneva Casstevens nurse d. 14/10/1918 of pneumonia/influenza) I was hoping someone might be able to provide a location or other information for the hospital and burials. They do not appear to be mentioned in the ABMC database and I have been unable to find any other references. Some of the references indicate "buried in Liverpool".

thanks in advance

Chris

Chris

Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool is just along the road from the Knotty Ash district (note spelling). The hospital was used extensively in the Great War and I can think of a few local cemeteries which might have been used.

The hospital is still in use today as a Children's Hospital.

Do you have any further details? Myself and several of the forum pals live not too far from the area and may be able to help.

Thanks - Apologies for the typo - all I could think of was the "treacle mines" :blush:

I am at work but will put up the details when I get home.

There are a couple of names but little in the way of location beyond just "Liverpool"

I will post what I have - thanks again

Chris

Chris

Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool is just along the road from the Knotty Ash district (note spelling). The hospital was used extensively in the Great War and I can think of a few local cemeteries which might have been used.

The hospital is still in use today as a Children's Hospital.

Do you have any further details? Myself and several of the forum pals live not too far from the area and may be able to help.

Also Broadgreen Hospital (same area), again used during the Great War and has at least one War Grave within its grounds.

Slasher

Here are the details of those I am most interested in:

Geneva CasstevensRegistered Nurse Unit W (in command Lt COlonel DM Ottis).....sailed overseas May 15 1918. Stationed Unit W at Camp Hospital no 40 Knotty Ash near Liverpool England. Died October 14th 1918 of influenza-pneumonia. Buried in Liverpool England.

Henry John Ferrari (150th Inf) died base hospital Liverpool of Influenza-pneumonia --edit - just discovered buried Brookwood Cemetery. (suggests some burials were reolocated)

Francis Drennan Fletcher Capt. Unit W sailed oversees May 11 1918 om the Ascania. Stationed at Unit W at camp Hospital No 40 Knotty Ash nr Liverpool. Died Juy 19 1918 following operation. At Liverpool England

James J Rollman Sgt Unit W Medical Corps...sailed Ascania May 11 1918. Stationed at Unit W at camp Hospital No 40 Knotty Ash nr Liverpool. Died October 14th 1918 of influenza at Camp Knotty Ash.

many thanks,

Chris

Chris

Have checked with the Cemeteries & Crematoria Department of Liverpool Council, who have advised that they have no records of the burials at Allerton, Anfield or Toxteth cemeteries.

I am checking with the central record office who have details of the other cemeteries.

Many thanks Stephen,

I got your email also - many thanks.

Chris