Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birmingham first world war studies group

armourersergeant

I am off to Birmingham University and the Centre for First World War studies seminar meeting tomorrow to hear about the 'Guns at Passchendaele'. I was wondering if there are any other Pals that might be there.

Regards

Arm.

Tonights speaker was Peter Hart, who is an Oral historian at the IWM and also an author of various WW1 topics. I have yet to meet Bob Bushway as he has not been present when i have attended. He must have heard of my reputation, that or he has got me confused with Steven and his bowl problems.

I have to say that PeterHart was a very good orator who got his point over in an enjoyable way. His talk was about The guns At passchendeale and he explained that his intention was to raise the awareness of not just the Gunners but all other arms of the services that fought not just at Passchendaele but during WW1. It was something i had not thought much on but most WW1 history seems to evolve around the PBI yet he was not there alone.

We had some oral excerts played to us and most were informative ,if not graphic. there was one though that he did warn would bore the pants of us and yep yours truely was shivering around his cockles. That said it was an important oral record of how something worked as thus needed to be heard.

He also gave a view of how unlike, in his opinion, the lessons of the western front were a see saw of learning in some instances the Artillery experimented and advaced with each battle. It also gave me an insight into how Air recce came on in the war and the importance it had in combining with the artillery.

In all another great night spent, with this society and my recent WFA membership i am spending some great nights away from the wife!!! :lol:

Arm.

It also raised a few questions i amy be asking seperately on the forum for others to give their opinions.