Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Stone - Ystrad/Gelli

Guest casrhinos

Guest casrhinos

John Stone - born Cornwall 1881 - was married with 5 children and living in Ystrad/Gelli in the Rhondda when war broke out. I am assuming he went to war and served overseas but do not know that for certain.

He was a timberman in a coal mine just before the war and when his sixth child was born in 1919 he was described as an army pensioner and no occupation, although I believe he later went back to the mines.

I don't know what outfit he joined and am unable to get to any of the records offices so am hoping that someone on this forum may be able to assist.

Sorry the information is so sparse - I never knew anything of my father's family and have only discovered them during this year.

Thank you for reading this and in anticipation

John Stone

Hi John. Welcome to the forum. If you look to the top of the page you will see a link to the mother site. There you will find suggestions on how to trace a relative's war record. As a pensioner, he must have been wounded or possibly gassed. That means a good chance of war medals. The link will tell you how to check these .

Not on my Swansea Battalion nominal roll though that is not complete.

Could be any unit really, but the 11th and 13th Welsh were the first and second Rhondda's so possibly a link there? But its a wild guess...

Bernard