Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some good war memorial news!

Steve Newman

Hi All,

As some of you may know I have been working to have the Wickford and Runwell, Essex war memorial tablets remounted and protected from bouts of vandalism for the past few years. In that time I have succeeded in having all the missing trees replaced, the grafitti removed and the area regularly checked and cleaned. The next stage ws to get the tablets remounted and floodlit and some other improvements, however....

Having met with an enthusiastic council officer about my plans a bigger more comprehensive scheme was envisaged that made improvements around the park, such as disabled access, cycle paths, fishing and canoeing facilities, replacing destroyed woodlands and providing areas for natural wildlife. All to be based around the whole point of the park, which is a memorial/remembrance park, so each new facility would have a naming or link to a local man or action in which we lost our lads.

I am delighted to report that stage one funding has today been granted to allow detailed plans to be professionally drawn up to incorporate all of the aforementioned improvements. We now have to put in a detailed proposal before March 31, 2008 to (hopefully) receive full funding. This is of course very much a 'half time' but that the project has been looked upon favourably is of course a great start.

I would also like to thank those of you who took the time to sign my guest book and show support, the grants officer was very impressed with this and also the letters and emails of support I received from the many families I have tracked down whilst producing the roll of honour book which will be sold to help raise funds for any details that are not covered in the grant and which I hope will be out on or around November 11.

It is though only half time so anyone else wishing to show their support for what really is a terrific project to remember our boys please take a second to sign the guest book, continued support is a must as well as the detailed plans

Cheers to all

Steve

www.wickford-war-memorial.com

well done Steve for all your hard work..and enthusiasm!

Good luck too!

Remembering....

Regards chum,

Ivan

Steve

Keep it going mate, I know how passionate you are about it.

Glyn

Thanks for the comments guys.

It seemed to start as a war of attrition against do nothing attitudes and I feel now like I have had the August 1918 breakthrough, just got to keep the momentum up now!!

Cheers

Steve