Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Thomas Jennings DCM 1/RDF

Krithia

I am doing some research into Private Thomas Jennings, 10641, 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers who was MID in the London Gazette on 5/5/16 and subsequently awarded the D.C.M for gallantry (LG 16/5/16). Citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry in going forward and cutting wire which was holding up the advance

A short but to the point citation, but from the LG dates and with little more information it is proving difficult pinning down the date of the action. Jennings was later killed during the opening day of the Third Battle of Krithia 4th June 1915 so it is possible this was a posthumous award. The RDF were in action late that day when they tried to attack along Gully Ravine, but made little progress, faltering under the Turkish fire and defences. These same defences and wire entanglements halted the Sikh attack earlier that day.

This is a possible and likely candidate for the award, however it is equally possible that it was made for the landings and fight on V Beach on 25/26th April 1915 where the RDFs sister unit, the Munster Fusiliers won a VC. The battalion and brigade War Diary are pretty brief for the early fighting, probably due to the diaries being lost, as only from July 1915 do they begin to record the day-to-day details. I have checked up to the end of 1915 with no mention of 4th June attack and Thomas Jennings. As a late award he may well be mentioned in the 1916 diaries, so this is my next step.

Has anyone got the RDF or 86 Brigade (29th Division) diary for 1916 or can help with any other information on Thomas or the 1/RDF during that period. The information is out there somewhere, the trouble is finding it.

Thanks, Steve

• 3 years later...

Came across this when researching another Thomas Jennings.

If you are still looking, I have most of 1 RDF War Diaries here

http://dublin-fusiliers.com/battaliions/1-batt/war-diaries/

• 3 years later...

Came across this when researching another Thomas Jennings.

If you are still looking, I have most of 1 RDF War Diaries here

http://dublin-fusiliers.com/battaliions/1-batt/war-diaries/

Hi, which Thomas Jennings were you researching at the time?? Was it Serjeant Thomas Jennings 130. DCM? He is my Grandad and I would appreciate any info on him. Thanks, Lee.

• 3 weeks later...