Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is there a National Roll of The Great War 1914-18 for Liverpool ?

liverpool annie

I can only find the one for Manchester and I checked the thread here and Susan just has the index ... is there a place where I can go look please ?

Thanking you in advance !

Annie :)

Annie

No.

There is abook on the same lines called Liverpool's Scroll of Honour, with biographies and photos, probably on the same lines, i.e. contributed and paid for by families. There is a copy in Liverpool Record Office at William Brown Street.

Liverpool Daggers

I have a copy of Liverpools Scroll of Fame,unfortunatly it does not have an index( which could have been scanned and posted here ) but I am happy to do look ups if anyone if any one wishes.

I understand that it was the intention to publish a second volume for other ranks( the title page says Part 1 Commissioned Officers ),but it appears that this never materialised.

P.B.

Thank you both for your replies !

I'm looking for Robert William Stead when he joined up he was living in Anfield !!

Liverpool Regiment 1466 Private

Machine Gun Corps 22397 Lance Corporal

Machine Gun Corps Second Lieutenant 28/01/1918

I do know he did come home !

Annie,

As he became an officer his service papers should have survived at the National Archives. They should contain some, or all, of his papers from before he became an officer.

Ken

Hi Ken !

We do have his papers .... what we're trying to find out is .... what happened to him after he came home ! he died in 1926 .... so right now trying to find information about him .... is like pulling teeth !! :( .... the Manchester National Roll sometimes gave information about the soldiers AFTER they were demobbed ..... and I was hoping to find a snippet of information that we may not have seen before !

Annie

Liverpol Annie

Just back from a break and apologies for getting the title of the Scroll of FAME wrong, which PB corrected. Gore's & Kelly's Directories used to include the occupation for those listed. Have you tried them? Also the probate register, if he left a will? When next at the Record Office I will have a look. Not this week, though.

Daggers

Daggers ....... Thank you !

Nothing in Gore's & Kelly's Directories ........ he left a will - not much there though !

I'd be really happy just to find his grave ... but can't find out where he's buried !

I'd appreciate you looking !

Annie

Back in circulation and had a look in Liverpool RO this morning. Probate record gives no occupation, with his address as 'The Cot, Grange Lane, Gateacre, Liverpool'. Probate was granted to his widow, Elizabeth Neil Stead.

Voters registers give no occupation, so I did not search there.

Kelly's Directory: 1923 - he is listed at 5 Queen's Road, Hoylake. 1926 at The Cot [as above]. No occupation for either, though they are shown in many entries at that period.

There was a family of cotton brokers called Stead, active until living memory. Any connection?

Grange Lane is still there, but much built over since the large-scale OS maps of 1904 and 1927 where I looked for The Cot. It does not appear, though the larger houses are named. Pressure on time and m/film readers meant I could not look in newspaper files for a death notice, which might give funeral details. Will keep this in my look-up list for another time.

Nearest C of E parish churches are Childwall All Saints [huge graveyard] and St Stephen's, Gateacre - I do not know about this one.

Daggers

Daggers .... thank you so much for going through all the time and effort !!

I appreciate it very much !

I'd LOVE to find a death or funeral notice .... that would be terrific !

Put me on your list ..... !

• 4 weeks later...

Annie if you're after a funeral notice I'd try the local library closest to where he was living at the time (Google for them and then email them).

They will most probably have the newspaper of the time on microfilm and they will either do a search for free or charge you a nominal amount.

Pighills

This was done, and the newspaper info sent to Liverpool annie by personal message. She has now tracked down the grave at St Peter's Church, Woolton.

Daggers

• 9 months later...
I have a copy of Liverpools Scroll of Fame,unfortunatly it does not have an index( which could have been scanned and posted here ) but I am happy to do look ups if anyone if any one wishes.

I understand that it was the intention to publish a second volume for other ranks( the title page says Part 1 Commissioned Officers ),but it appears that this never materialised.

P.B.

Hi pbrydon,

I saw your interest in Liverpool. I'd be grateful if you can help at all - I'm wondering if any local Liverpool newspapers listed newly enlisted men/Officers in 1914/15? I have posted a thread today. I have drawn blanks so far trying to see what Battalion of the KLR two men, who were TF, joined. Also would the Scroll you mention help?

Cheers, David Lansley

I am chipping in here in case PB is off line to say that the Scroll of Fame has officers' names only, so your two might have been included if they did not survive the war. Can you put your names up here again? I saw them earlier but cannot find the original post. I did look among the names on the Town Hall Roll of Honour [all ranks] but did not find them there, but it is far from complete.

Daggers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Daggers !

I'm not sure if you were talking to me ... but just in case ......... :)

I'm looking for Robert William Stead when he joined up he was living in Anfield !!

Liverpool Regiment 1466 Private

Machine Gun Corps 22397 Lance Corporal

Machine Gun Corps Second Lieutenant 28/01/1918

and I do know he did come home !

If there is anything to be found ... I'd be delighted !!