Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HOLMAN BROTHERS from West Sussex looking for any other info ?

mollyolly

Just wondering if there is any one out there with any other information, MEDALS or documents, photos etc which relates to two HOLMAN brothers. These are my boyfriends relatives.

Spencer HOLMAN b. 1882 from Ardingly W.Sussex. Pvt. G3284, 13th Battalion of Royal Sussex Regt.

39th New Army Div. KIA Polygon Wood 27/09/17 aged 35.

Commemorated on the Tyne Cot memorial.

Jesse HOLMAN b. 1893 from Ardingly West Sussex. Pvt.G4209, 9th Battalion of Royal Sussex Regt.

24th New Army Div. KIA Wulverghem 24/03/16 aged 23.

Buried at Ration Farm.

Anything about the battalions would be good, photos would be fantastic. I have no idea what these men look like but may be able to pick out from a photo ?

Thanks

Jesse Holman is mentioned in various Then & Now Books Held in Crawley Library,West Sussex,i think there is even a Photo of Him in one of them.I remember that Jesse Holman is also Commemorated on the Cuckfield War Memorial.

Jesse Holman is mentioned in various Then & Now Books Held in Crawley Library,West Sussex,i think there is even a Photo of Him in one of them.I remember that Jesse Holman is also Commemorated on the Cuckfield War Memorial.

Not sure if Cyril is a relative, name is not familiar. There are hundreds of Holmans in Sussex and its quite hard following a family tree when they all have same names and live in same villages.

These Then and Now books, do they sell them on Amazon do you know. What is the title of the book you mentioned, as I am really interested.

Thank you for your help

As far as i know the Books are Local Publications and have been around for a Long Time,they are Held upstairs in the Reference Section at Crawley Library.

Is this chap any relation as well?

Name: HOLMAN, STEPHEN GEORGE

Initials: S G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text: 259th Coy.

Date of Death: 30/10/1917

Service No: 84406

Additional information: Son of Ernest Frederick and Mary Ann Holman, of Prospect House, Ardingley, Haywards Heath. Sussex, England.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 5. A. 5.

Cemetery: DAR ES SALAAM WAR CEMETERY

As far as i know the Books are Local Publications and have been around for a Long Time,they are Held upstairs in the Reference Section at Crawley Library.

No I don't think he is, I've come across his name before, but I will check. Sussex really is full of Holmans !