Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Inniskillings 21-10-14

markinbelfast

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat6.htm

Using the above site I'm trying to find how a man I'm researching died.The site on that page mentions the R.Ir.Reg as being in the heart of the battle....however the 2nd Inniskillings are mentioned in the battle formations (the R.Ir.Reg are not) and never mentioned again.....could the author have got the regiments mixed up....?

If anyone can point out what and where the 2nd Inniskillings were doing on the 21-10-14 I'd be very very grateful.

Mark - if no-one else has an answer, I'll have a look at the War Diary tomorrow....

Alan

Certainly does, Mark, and thanks again - at the moment I'm gathering all the info I can get!

Alan

Sir Frank Fox's book has them in the line at Le Gheer on 20-10-14. On this day and the following day they were attacked by enemy. In the morning they (with the exception of Capt Steward & D Coy) retired from the village but then re-took it in the afternoon with help from the Somersets. It says on the next two days they buried 300+ enemy dead suffering about 100 casualties themselves. On account of this they were withdrawn to Ploegsteert as Brigade Reserve.

First thought is there could be some pics in Salient Points - A Walk Round Plugstreet - will look tonight and let you know....

Alan

Think I've got nearly all I need thanks to the internet,..just to get a photo of the name on the memorial.thanks Alan for the help!

Mark

Not sure if you got the war diary but heres a scan.

If you would like copies PM me your e-mail

Glyn

post-5500-1192352795.jpg

Mark - Glyn beat me to this - a couple of my Inst chaps are covered by this too.

Is the photo you need from Ploegsteert Memorial? If so, I could get it for you next week...

Alan