Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bonner V.C. My Mystery Ships

Sue S

Please excuse a novice if the answer to this is blindingly obvious, but here goes.

I am involved in researching the life of Charles George Bonner V.C. D.S.C. R.N.R but the early months of his Great War Service are giving me a real headache. I have documents from the National Archives online which show that he joined the R.N.D. in Sept 1914. His family say that he met Winston Churchill at the Crystal Palace and Gordon Campbells book 'My Mystery Ships' says that Bonner was in Antwerp when the war broke out (this is entirely likely because it was a port which he visited often in the course of his work as a Merchant seaman). Campbell then says that Bonner joined the Belgian Army, was removed as a suspected person, came back to England, joined the R.N.V.R., went back to Antwerp, escaped across the River Scheldt and got home where the authorities were not very happy as his conduct did not meet with their approval.

There is no record of him receiving the 1914 Star and although I have read the story on several websites, when I have enquired as to the source, the answer is always, "I got it from Gordon Campbells book". Bonner had a fascinating life and there is documentary evidence for most of his adventures , but not this one (as yet)!

Any suggestions for lines of enquiry would be very gratefully received.

Hello Sue, to `your' BONNER - you plobably have this but `in case' !

BONNER Charles G DSC Lt. RNR 83P162 & 163

Dunraven Vice Admiral Queenstown 02.11.17 G

Action with enemy submarines 08.08.17 VC

Their Lordships' appreciation expressed of the magnificent discipline and gallantry displayed by on the 8th August, 1917, in an action with an enemy submarine. H.M. the King has been pleased to state that "greater bravery than was shown by all officers and men on this occasion can hardly be conceived". Lieutenant Bonner having been blown out of his control station by the first explosion of a depth charge due to shell fire, crawled back into the 4" gun hatch with the gun's crew ( 6 men) were well aware that it was only a matter of time before the magazine and depth charges below them would explode, and they remained there until it happened. The gun was shifted bodily, and the gun's crew were blown up in the air, one man being blown overboard, but fortunately none of them were killed, and only four wounded.

Regards Sadsac

Hello again Sue - more re BONNER ;

BONNER Charles G N/E Lt. RNR 83P115

Pargust Vice Admiral Queenstown 20.07.17 N/E

Action with enemy submarines 07.06.17 DSC

On the 7th June, 1917, when Pargust sank an enemy submarine, he was in charge of two guns which he worked most efficiently.

Their Lordships' high commendation expressed.

KOKO Sadsac

You should read "The Naval VC's" by Stephen Snelling. It has a very detailed write up on Bonner. Also have a look at the chapter on Captain Ronald Neil Stuart VC, DSO, RD, RNR (US Navy Cross) who also served under Campbell. He is buried near to me in Charing. I had his old worn and dilapidated headstone replaced in 2005. Ronald Neil Stuart VC served on HMS Pargust with Campbell VC and Bonner VC. My advice is to have a closer look at other VC's who served on mystery ships. These books might provide valuable information about ships that Bonner served on.

If you want anything on Stuart, I can let you have a lot of useful information including photographs etc...

The book was published by Sutton Publishing (www.suttonpublishing.co.uk) ISBN: 0-7509-1395-9

If you can't get hold of a copy, email me and I will either lend you my copy or send you copies of the pages you want. (clarkneilathotmaildotcodotuk).

Good luck

Neil

Hello Sue ; info re BONNER from National Archives file

ADM 171 / 83P Page 115 for DSC award and

ADM 171 / 83P pages 162 & 163 for VC award.

Regards Sadsac

He was in the RND, below is a link to his service card, you can download it for free at Kew or £3.50 online.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

These are the administrative copies and others, allegedly more accurate, are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, where there will be other papers relating to his RNVR and RNR service.

Any Admiralty in correspondence relating to him can be found using the ADM 12 indexes, that includes the files with the recommendations for his decorations. Here's a link to another thread where I have given some details on those indexes.