Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Munition Factory Disasters

Ian C

Hi

I am trying to find out more about an explosion at George Kent Ltd, (Luton), in March 1918, in which a local girl, (Fenny Stratford, now part of Milton Keynes), was killed. There is nothing in the local paper other than a report of her funeral, which gives minimal details and I couldn't find anything at Luton library.

After these explosions was there ever any Board of Inquiry etc, would there have been inquests into the deaths? any ideas anyone?

Regards

Ian C

Hello Ian,

I don't know anything about your area's explosions but I recently looked into the explosions at Barnbow in Leeds and the particular person I found the death notice,acknowledgement and funeral details at the local Wakefield reference library. In my case there was an inquest held although it was adjourned for over a week and the first part was reported but not the second part, so I suspect it was supressed for the sake of national security.

I also found her name on the local war memorial,so that might be another avenue for you to go down.

All the very best in your quest.

Cheers Roger.

If it was a small explosion with only 1 fatality I suspect that there would have been no more than a local inquest. This may have taken place some time afterwards.

A search of the National Archives electronic catalogue turns up several reports on explosions and claims for compensation but nothing referring to the company you mention. The only references I could find to George Kent are as follows:

MUN 4/5302 : CONTRACTS: Copies of Agreements with: George Kent, Limited ODE 15 (and several other companies)

MUN 4/1812 : George Kent Ltd.: claims under contracts

MUN 4/5311 : LIQUIDATION OF CONTRACTS, ETC.: (includes George Kent Ltd)

Patrick