Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Garry

Guest Guard 1

Hello,

Iam trying to find out some information on this ship during WW1.

What type of vessel?

How many served on her?

Where she went during the war?

A photo?

Any help will be great.

Rowland

HMS Garry, River Class destroyer built 1905 in Yarrow, 590 tons, 75000 ihp = 25.5 knots, armed with 4 x 12 pounder guns, 2 x 18 inch torpedoes. four funnels in open pairs. Sold 22nd October 1919.

The Garry is a river in Perthshire Scotland.

Aye

Malcolm

Many thanks for your help.

I use to collect photographic postcards of WW1 naval ships. HMS GARRY is one I never foung anything about. I will try and get a photo of it here later in the week. Not having the postcard in front of me I'm not totally sure but I think it was more like the other ship you mentioned T63 of the trawler axe class.

T63 Garry is listed in Lenton and Colledge WW2 book as an Axe Class Naval Trawler, launched 1916, ex Goldaxe, ex Russian T13.

Former Russian vessels being built in the UK and requisitioned in WW1. Name of the ship in WW1 was Goldaxe.

The Axe class Garry does not appear in Dittmar and Colledge WW1 book except as a note of the change of name in September 1920.

p175 British Warships 1914-1919.

Aye

Malcolm

The destroyer Garry rammed and sank UB110 off Yorkshire coast on 19 July 1918, assisted by ML49 & ML263.

I also have also found a reference that Garry rammed and sank U18 on 23 Nov 1914, but other sources state U18 was sunk by coastal gunfire. A footnote in one book states. 'Some accounts give loss as ramming by trawler.' All very confusing!

The River Class "Garry" was involved in ramming U.18. The story goes, that while reconnoitring Scapa Flow U.18 was located and rammed by the armed trawler Dorothy Grey, which damaged the U-boat's periscope and hydroplanes. After diving to the bottom, the submarine surfaced, only to be rammed again by the destroyer Garry commanded by W.W. Wilson. She sank one more time but again managed to come to the surface, drifting helplessly with her crew firing distress signals. The Garry came alongside and rescued all her crew except one and U.18, scuttled by her own men, sank off Muckle Skerry.

Hello,

Many thanks this is all superb stuff.

I will try and get a photo on here tomorrow morning. The postcard is named to HMS GARRY so it still leaves the question now of, is this the destroyer or the T63 trawler after 1920?

This is the postcard I have of H.M.S Gary. Looks to be the Axe class trawler. Any other information on this ships war service would be great.

All the best Rowland

post-24-1074161311.jpg

This is an Axe class vessel showing the reinforced bows ( for ice ) and prominent forecastle. Dittmar & Colledge states:

All 17 Axe class were siezed on 3/8/1918 in the white sea according to Admiralty sources but it seems 8 of them were handed over by White Russians and T20 (Woodaxe) was captured 5/8/1918 by the French Admiral Aube, Ironaxe and Woodaxe perhaps had French crews from 8/1918, although listed as RN vessels. Six vessels came from the T13 - 24 group built during 1916, another was built 1917 ( as a replacement for T19 wrecked 3/10/1916 before acceptance by the Russians) and 10 older vessels were purchased into Russian service. T30 -40series were formerley owned by Argentina. The War built vessels from Smith's Dock had prominent forecastles, bows specially strengthened for navigation in icewith the forefront sharply cut-away below the waterline. Boneaxe, Bronzaxe and Dreadaxe, whose former identity has not been identified, could have been three of the vessels also claimed to have been later in Russian service, but their movements in RN lists indicate that the British had control of them for some considerable time.

Goldaxe, Admiralty No 4331, was ex T13 and became Garry in September 1920.

Aye

Malcolm

Hello,

Many thanks Malcolm thats great to find out so much about this ship.

I hope in the future i can do the same for you.

All the best Rowland.

On the absent voters list for my village we have Arthur Gilbert who is listed as a Deck Hand on HMTB Garry. I'm assuming that being a Deck Hand he was Mercantile Marine.

Thanks for posting the photo Rowland

Michael

Hi Michael,

I think a Deck Hand was only a rank in the Royal Naval Reserve.

I'am not totally sure is there anyone else that can help?

Rowland.

Rowland

Gilbert is one the guys I haven't researched yet. Your post has given me the impetus to look at him. I'll have to check the medal rolls because I don't have a service number for him. I'll let you know the outcome.

Michael

• 11 months later...
Guest PerPuramTunantes

I'm not too familiar with Navy topics - but I can advise that HMS Garry was a `River' class destroyer commanded (1918) by Charles Herbert LIGHTOLLER. In 1918 the Garry operating out of the Humber twice rammed & sank UB110 commanded by Werner FURBRINGER. The ramming was almost fatal to the Garry, but Lightoller got her back to the Humber.

In WW2 Lightoller (with his son Roger & seascout Gerry Ashcroft) took his boat the Sundowner to Dunkirk, & took off 130 troops.

Lightoller is more famously known as the 2nd Officer of RMS Titantic, the most senior surviving officer & the last man rescued.

Further reading:

STENSON, Patrick `Lights: the odyssey of CH Lightoller' London: The Bodley Head 1984

In memory of

Brian Lightoller RAF killed-in-action 1939

Roger Lightoller RN killed-in-action 1945

"I cannot imagine any condition that would cause a ship to flounder ... Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."

Capt'n EJ Smith RMS Titanic

It is interesting to note that HMS GARRY only lost one man in the course of the Great War and this man to illness in 1916.

don