Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Royal West Kents

Michael

• 2 months later...

Could you see if there is any mention of L-8773 Pte. J. T. Wilkins he served in the Beor War with the Royal Munster Fusiliers and I believe he was transferred to the 1st Royal West Kents to put them up to full strength since they were here in Dublin when the war broke out.

Conor :D

• 2 months later...

I have a trio to a 1st Bn RWK casualty for 18/04/15,

I wonder is there any mention of him in the War Diary.

His name is :

Pte J.E. SYMONDS

Regt N° S/1228

Cheers,

Koyli

I don't hold out much hope but will take a look for you. Other ranks aren't often mentioned. You are more likely to see something like "Capt Smith injured his elbow, 25 O/R killed".

Michael

Just had a look at the diary and as I suspected there are no mentions of O/R casualties although the officers are listed.

This was a tough day for the Battalion as they fought for Hill 60 on the Salient. They suffered heavy casualties as did all the units fighting that day. Several pages of the diary describe the action (too many to subscribe). One interesting note is as follows

“During the evening the enemy used some shell which when they exploded emitted some sort of fumes which affected mens eyes and was extremely disagreeable for some time.

It was stated that this was the first occasion that this type of shell had been used”

Real evidence of weapons of mass destruction !.

Harry Reed from my village lost his life on that day aswell. Just one of the 300 + casualties from the Battalion.

Your man is listed in the Regiment Roll of Honour in Atkinson's book

Michael

• 1 year later...

Hi Michael,

Do you have a transcript of the diary for the 24/25 October 1914 you would be happy to let me see? L/10028 Pte Harry Hart, the first man from Woodchurch to lose his life, died of wounds on 25 October and I wondered if the diary contains any extra information beyond the official description of events. I haven't yet had a chance to get to the NA but the published histories (Maloney and Atkinson) both describe firing all along the 1 RWK line during this period and increasingly heavy shelling. I assume Pte Hart was a casualty of this general attrition - and as an OR there's unlikely to be a specific mention - but there is just a possibility the diary has a little more detail.

Many thanks

Gary