Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gas!

aley

Aley

I really like this, especially how you have only suggested the presence of the advancing party, your eyes are drawn to the figures but there is nothing to focus on so you have to ask yourself whether you really seeing the figures amid the gas and smoke or is it the imagination of the onlooker. Also the ambiguity are they advancing toward the viewer or away? either is haunting, it brings to my mind the fear that must be felt when an unseen enemy approaches or if you are behind the adavancing party the fear of isolation as you lose sight of your comrades as you advance into the maelstrom

Great work, Aley - I like it very much.

Good "wet on wet" water colour technique. Catches the title exactly. Great work.

Aley, I really like this art work. I stared and stared at it, then very gradually began to see the figures appear. You have done a wonderful job of portraying this. It makes one realise what it must have been like for those who were being "advanced at"... makes me have goosebumps....

susan.

Thank you all for the feedback. I like pictorial ambiguity. It still remains a mystery to me how i find myself able to see things in what is fairly abstract - and it's interesting to hear other peoples interpretations of what they see. (Ofcourse the title 'prompts' a specific reading).

Cheers.

David.