Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham Light Infantry

Wellington

Hi - I am trying to find out some information about my uncle who was killed in action at Mons apparently early in 1915. His name is Cpl Thomas Gray, Service No 15601, served with the Durham Light Infantry. I have his 3 medals which includes the 1914-1915 Star plus the bronze death plaque.In particular I am seeking his date of death and location of his grave; date of birth and any other personal information. His parents lived in Sunderland.

Thanks

John

Hi John

I echo Ady's welcome.

3/12/1917 a momentous day for the 14th Durham Light Infantry. ( the CWGC suggests your uncle died in 1917 and not 1915)

This was the day the Capt. AM Lascelles won his VC during defence of the Marcoing Crossings beside the canal. on the 2nd of December when the battalion took over the line they were 450 strong by the afternoon of the 3rd, 66% of them were killed or wounded.

They were mentioned for their bravery in action in the Orders of the Day by the Major General commanding the 6th Division Maj. Gen. T.O. Marden.

My grandfather was Company Sergeant Major of "B" Coy with the 14th on that day. He survived the war.

I have the war diary for that date along with the "order for the day".

If you would like it, PM me with an email address and I will quite happily send it to you.

Cheers

jack

• 1 month later...
Hi John

I echo Ady's welcome.

3/12/1917 a momentous day for the 14th Durham Light Infantry. ( the CWGC suggests your uncle died in 1917 and not 1915)

This was the day the Capt. AM Lascelles won his VC during defence of the Marcoing Crossings beside the canal. on the 2nd of December when the battalion took over the line they were 450 strong by the afternoon of the 3rd, 66% of them were killed or wounded.

They were mentioned for their bravery in action in the Orders of the Day by the Major General commanding the 6th Division Maj. Gen. T.O. Marden.

My grandfather was Company Sergeant Major of "B" Coy with the 14th on that day. He survived the war.

If you would like it, PM me with an email address and I will quite happily send it to you.

Cheers

jack

Hi Jack

Thanks very much for your response. I am new to the forum so it has been a little difficult navigating my way around. The info you have provided together with Ady's comments have proven to be very helpful. I have been able to determine exactly when and where he was killed. This info will prove to be invaluable in my little project.

I would like very much to receive a copy of the war diary for that day which you so kindly offered. My email address is john_n_lynne@hotmail.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

John

Hi John

I echo Ady's welcome.

Cheers

jack

Hi Ady

Thank you very much for the very useful info you provided. Being new to the forum I have found it a little difficult navigating my way around.

The link you gave me provided much of the detail I need for my project. I had assumed that as my uncle was awarded the 1914-15 Cross that he was killed in 1915. No one in the family has been able to give me any info. So once again thnak you very much for your help.

Regards

John

Hi John

Welcome to the forum

It was a little bit later in the war heres his details.

Try posting any queries in the soldiers bit you should get answers to what he was up to.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1753294

Ady