Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Liverpool medal expert help required!

Mercian Volunteer

Can any King’s Liverpool expert help with a query about Lance Corporal James Stafford who was awarded the DCM, MM & the Grand Order of St George according to a newspaper death report from the Macclesfield Times of October 1918. He was originally a Macclesfield man but had a wife & family in Liverpool. The Soldiers Died confirm his DCM and Russian award but there is doubt about his Military Medal award as I can’t find any reference to it! I suspect that this info was supplied by his cousin in Macclesfield to the local newspaper as it is her name on the CWGC website as next of kin and not his wife!

His name is on the Macclesfield Memorial with his DCM but not the MM! Can anyone please confirm from any reference book about the Kings if he was entitled to the MM? Can I also ask if they could also supply his citation for the DCM?

He died in a Manchester hospital from wounds with the Labour Co! See the newspaper cutting attachment for further details.

Any help appreciated,

Steve

post-1516-1191837093.jpg

LG 11~1~1916. Click Here::Original Promulgation of DCM {List Of Named Recipients}

LG 10~3~1916. Click Here::DCM Citation

Order of St George LG 24th August 1915 in a list of names. Click Here::OSG

There doesnt appear to be an index card for an MM to him;either with 4th Liverpools or Labour Corps:

Link To NA Medal Index Cards J/James Stafford 4th Bn;Liverpool Rgt & Labour Corps

Possibly he was awarded a French Medaille Militaire {MM} which was not Gazetted???

Stafford (not Clifford as in your first line!) is not listed as having been awarded the MM according to my list of all MMs to the Liverpool Regt.

He was awarded the DCM (Gazette 11/3/16) when serving with the 4th Battalion.

Citation:

For conspicuous bravery; he was wounded after volunteering for patrol and sniping duties. He also displayed great coolness and gallantry in carrying messages to and from the trenches when the telephone had been cut.

Ken

Thanks for your replies.

I think it may have been a bit of embelishment by his cousin. Is James Stafford's name on any memorial in Liverpool?

Steve

I'll look at the printed and framed Roll of Honour in Liverpool Town Hall when next there, which may be a week or five, so be patient. If I find it I'll send a photo.

Daggers

I'll look at the printed and framed Roll of Honour in Liverpool Town Hall when next there, which may be a week or five, so be patient. If I find it I'll send a photo.

Daggers

Cheers Daggers,

If his name is on a Liverpool memorial at least it would disprove my theory that he was not living with his wife when he enlisted and later when he died in hospital. I'm intrigued as to why his cousin was next of kin and not his wife on the CWGC information.

Steve :unsure:

• 10 months later...
Cheers Daggers,

If his name is on a Liverpool memorial at least it would disprove my theory that he was not living with his wife when he enlisted and later when he died in hospital. I'm intrigued as to why his cousin was next of kin and not his wife on the CWGC information.

Steve :unsure:

After a long gap I have access to a transcribed list of the names on the Liverpool Town Hall Roll of Honour. Subject to checking I cannot find any J. Stafford. There is an L. Stafford, 4/KLR. Sorry to have taken so long.

Daggers

Is James Stafford's name on any memorial in Liverpool?

Steve,

I have had a look at the database to which I have access (created, by others and not by me, as a side project from the work of George Donnison, Merseyside coordinator for the National Inventory of War memorials). It is pretty thorough as regards churches and local memorials but is not complete (does not include Liverpool Town Hall, but Daggers has looked that up for you, and some other blockbusters). There seems to be no record of a J Stafford or a James Stafford.

Ian