Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

If I could get my hands on them........

Matt Dixon

This afternoon, Harborne parish churchyard, Birmingham, kids trying to kick over WW1 headstone, another one urinating on the Memorial Cross. Stupid enough to say something and received a volley of abuse in return.

My blood is boiling about this,(not the abuse, the mindless vandalism) and I fear if I repeated what I would like to do to the little disrespectful ********* I would probably be banned from the Forum.

I know the sentiments of all the Pals would be the same, but what is the world coming to........?

Matt

Unfortunately the days when you could give them a good clip round the

ear have gone which is exactly what they need. Kids these days have no

understanding of discipline and they can do just what they like. Thats

Polical Correctness for you.

Geoff

If you have one of those phones with a camera on it you could have taken a pic of the little *darlings* and posted it to your local news paper asking them to name and shame them.

I swear to Bod, if these little armholes had Any idea about the sacrifices these guys made ........ but then again, even if you told them you'd still get a biligerant reply of 'so what! muppetts for volunteering!'

What say we get our spud guns out and go wait in the long grass for them ... bit of a potato based sniping exercise ....... anyone care to join me??

Fleur *grabbing her fatigues, spud gun and scope from the back of the wardrobe*

i must admit my generation has lost its way.

there is no discipline there is nothing to stop them from doing Anything they want.

But people are trying by taking every school child to france to see the battlefield but that dont work.

Spud guns it is then....

Can we dip them in salt? :blink: Stings like blazes!

The world is sometimes wasted on the young.....

Spike

Matt

You did the right thing. If more people challenged this sort of behaviour it would soon diminish. As unpleasant as it is, verbal abuse is nothing, just huff and puff.

Terry Reeves

You did the right thing. If more people challenged this sort of behaviour it would soon diminish.

I part agree with you Terry but this day and age, you could end with a knive in your ribs for just looking at some of those brain dead B*****ds.

Bring back the old days, when a copper could given them a clip around the ear. My grandfather got a clip around the ear just for srumping apples, plus the copper told him that he would get the belt when his dad got to know about it.

Annette

They Do Not like it up em!

I know something else they don't like :ph34r:

A colleague of mine had a great technique for dealing with mouthy little gits.

He would stand in front of them (whilst they mouthed off at him) and raise his cap slowly into the air with one hand. Of course, the little mother's angel would look up at the cap and at this point my colleague, with his free hand, would grab a big handful of the kid's 'crown jewels' and squeeze them really hard :D

Oh, we did have fun in the old days.........

Kids these days have no

understanding of discipline and they can do just what they like. Thats

Polical Correctness for you.

I blame the parents!

Why blame the kids because the parents (presumably in their 30s and 40s) havnt brought them up right.

However disrespectful, and however much everyone would like vengeance on the little s*ds, it's only the living that suffer the consequences of their behaviour - the dead, at least, can't be hurt by it.

Sue

Setting aside [with difficulty] the precise actions which started this thread, I, wearing Councillor hat, have wrestled with a tide of litter and vandalism for years. Apart from every citizen doing a bit in the right direction, I conclude that the problem is easier to describe than the solution: if you ignore it, they carry on, if you react [as perhaps you are meant to] you reinforce their mind set.

Just one thought: our 1418 heroes died to make it possible for the little winkers to exercise their freedom: think what would happen in Singapore or Saudi ... and ask yourself where you would rather be. [mind you, in January I am never that certain ......]

i must admit my generation has lost its way.

there is no discipline there is nothing to stop them from doing Anything they want.

Can't agree with this statement... I'm 41 and I can well remember the park trees around my way being snapped in half and wooden park benches smashed when I was a kid. Graffiti was not invented by your generation... How old was the youngest soldier killed in the Gulf War, 18 ? (a hero of your generation)

Many generations come and go and they all think theirs was the best and try to kid younger generations of this, don't be fooled .. There are a lot of good young citizens out there who are decent, hard working and a credit to society... don't be too hard on your generation...and don't let older generations give you the old chestnut " at least we could leave our doors unlocked"... the only reason that was so, was because there was nothing to steal inside... B)

Every generation has its bad apples, maybe in the old days at least they got punished.... but thats the fault of the older generations now, who make the laws that let them walk free.... :o

Spud guns it is then .... they don't like it up 'em you know! They Do Not like it up em!

Fleur

forget the spuds guns,i'll starve the dog for a week and then let her loose on them !!

STEVEN :angry:

okokok

lets start our own section of the hells grannys like the WFA but more militant.

Respect, Duty, Honour, loyalty....

Words I live by....

Today these words have been bastardised to mean something else or have fallen into non use. This young generation do not understand it and i at 37yoa have to say many of my genration do not...Getting contreversial here i believe it lost its way after WW2, and we failed to stop the rot.

Arm.

The Memorial Park in my home town is directly opposite the police station - thankfully that means it is wonderfully kept and a superb civic site which is lovingly cared for by the council ... but you still get the wine-heads gathering in the shelter for an impromptu party without cheese. Peelers usually move 'em on.

Singapore ain't too bad a place, that Peoples Action Party can come to Hastings anyday - our borough has the misfortune of having the highest ratio of 15/16 year olds in the country. OK they go over the score a bit sometimes, but look what the place used to be like with Tong wars etc. Police ought to be able to harass the little sods with constant stop and search (any one in baseball cap and track suit trousers fair game - burberry baseball cap bounce him in for questioning - "you got a receipt for those sovereign rings?") Seriously - what is missing? - a decent father

I know religious belief isn't overly popular in some quarters on the forum, but perhaps one day they will have to meet the man whose grave they vandalised (or worse yet his RSM)

I would like to say something constructive here.

I have read and re read the thread and I cant think of anything.

Except.... why?

I am not angry, not surprised, because it tends to be a minority.

I am disappointed that respect is not given to the dead.

John

john w. Posted on Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:14:45 +0000

I am not angry, not surprised, because it tends to be a minority.

I am disappointed that respect is not given to the dead.

John

Well put John-thats exactly how I feel.

Spike

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ummmm....................

I admit to being a tearaway in my youth, falling in and out of trouble as if it was going out of fashion (I never vandalised anything though). Then as a cocky youth joining HMF with the same attitude then having the **** kicked out of me by 4 NCOs and every time I fell foul of the law the exercise was repeated. Fighting back made things worse. I soon learn't as they say. Severe I know but if someone had just sat me down and 'counselled' me, I would have just sat there and laughed in their face!

So has it scarred me well no - it was probably the bestthing someone could have done for me. This might sound crazy but thinking of how I could ended up........................

Then as a cocky youth joining HMF with the same attitude then having the **** kicked out of me by 4 NCOs and every time I fell foul of the law the exercise was repeated.

Ian

Your account appals me. From your age, this must have only been about 20-25 years ago or so. I find it absolutely shocking that a young lad should be physically assaulted, regularly, by four men. And, at that, men who were your supervisors.

And this seems to be acceptable. Such a story tends to confirm why the armed forces do not seem to be held in high esteem these days (with the consequent drop in recruitment).

I am glad that you feel you have come through this unscarred, but the idea that beating the crap out of someone is the mark of a civilised society is a concept I cannot come to terms with. This general acceptance of violence in our society makes me ashamed to be British.

John

Matt

One i found last week in my local cemetery, have reported to CWGC and there will erect a new one.

Regards Kevin

I must say that having a 12 year old daughter, I now meet some very nice young people of around her age - and also come across some nasty ones - this very much reminds me of the split I experienced during my own school days.

This very weekend a young schoolboy showed me a terrific multi-media project he had put together about the Public Schools battalions in training in Epsom/Ashtead in 1914/1915. Many of our children are working hard - but too many are dropping out of the bottom into despair and failure.

I would agree that parental influence is paramount together with society's punishment when appropriate. Both parents and society seem to have lost the self confidence to direct and discipline our young. Kids will run amok without guidelines and I rather think we are letting them down rather than the other way around.

That said, any oafs I see vandalising the neighbourhood will get my full attention - - but we should be wary of intervening.

I have just brought the incident up with my class of Year 10 students as we are dealing with aspects of the family.

In essence they were surprised.. the comments ranged from

Blame the parents

They are bored and so need a high

There is nothing for them to do

Bet parents vandalised things

Being an adult you learn consequences of your actions, teenagers are still learning

Its a bad thing imagine that being your mum or dad dead.....

Pause for thought... none wanted to be tarred by the brush of being a nutty teenager.

They are east end of London students. With attitude! if you handle them wrong, but really did feel a sense of outrage at the incident.

John