Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anzac Weekend Zonnebeke

Surfheart

Sorry if this has been reported elsewhere on the forum.

ON A day perhaps as misty as those of the battles of Passchendaele exactly 90 years ago, five World War I Australian soldiers were buried yesterday.

The men had lain unknown in Flanders, Belgium, since their deaths, but advances in DNA technology have enabled Belgian scientists and the Australian Army history unit to put names to two of them.

Relatives of Private John Hunter, from Nanango in southern Queensland, and Sergeant George Calder, of Goldsborough in northern Victoria, laid flowers and a toy kangaroo on the coffins of their forebears before they were lowered into the earth in Buttes New British Cemetery.

More at http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/quest-for...1091276328.html

I'll look forward to hearing the reports of the Great War Forum Pals who attended the service.

Of the 3 unidentified soldiers, early reports from the study of the original burial reports suggested it may have been Pte William Williams of the 51st Battalion, one of the Fremantle soldiers I had been researching. Unfortunately the Defence Dept could not track down any relatives to provide a DNA sample to confirm this, so he will lie under an Unkown Australian soldier grave.

It's great they were still able to identify Calder & Hunter.

Regards

Andrew

For those of you who were not able to make it to Zonnebeke, we will be taking photo's and filming all weekend.

The first photo's can be seen here :

http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/viewtopic.php?t=10901

Excellent photos. I found these very moving and admit to shedding a tear (or two) - the images do transport you there and it was good of you to share them, pity some of us (well, me) can't read all of the captions. Thanks. Lyn

It was indeed a very moving service. Had it difficult myself on a number of moments.

Will be adding some You Tube clips from the service within the hour.

Absolutely superb photo's. Thank you for sharing them with us! I was amongst the crowds but my view was very restricted. I was lucky enough though at one point, to stand next to the currently still serving, New Zealand SAS CPL Willy Apiata VC. His Afghanistan VC citation is awesome. He had such a great smile and looked so friendly. I don't think the Tallyban would agree with me though! Your photo's pick him and his medal out on several occasions for those who may wish to see him. A very great and very humble man indeed!

Thank you very much for your kindness in sharing these special photographs with us.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

I have added a few of my own photos where I think they may add to the better ones on the website. It was a very moving afternoon.

Picture 1 shows CWGC staff preparing the graves 2 days before

Picture 2 shows the gun salute (3 times for each man)

Picture 3 shows the Last Post being played.

post-719-1191666771.jpg

post-719-1191666790.jpg

post-719-1191666906.jpg

Thank you for posting these photos. This story has been headline news in Australia and it is great to see some more detail.

I know several of the senior officers who attended and it is nice to see them.

Yours in service

Thank you very much for these kind words !

We ended the weekend today with the New Zealand Walk guided by Dr. Christopher Pugsley and a rugby match in rememberance of David Gallaher of the All Blacks. The New Zealand team did win BTW ! B)

Most of the photo's of the weekend are now on line.

In the first hour some links will be added on You Tube clips about the Maori concert of yesterday evening and of the Haka of the New Zealand rugby team this afternoon.

Neil, thank you very much for the additional photo's !

I had the privilage of being at the re-internment in Buttes New British Cemetery. It was, as you might expect, exceptionally moving. Having representitives there from the family made it particularly poignant. The GG spoke quite well, and the service was in my humble opinion very appropriate for the occasion.

From an Australian perspective, it was particularly interesting to attend a very military style funeral. As you probably know, Australia does not have a tradition of bringing home their war dead, hence, civilians - particularly family - are usually absent from such events.I was a little suprised to note that the Australian army adopted (what I considered) the very American practice of giving the flag to each of the families.

Some of my photos are posted here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5809...mp;id=897040017

Michael

Michael

Thanks for posting the excellent photos. It looked to be an impressive service. I think the medals pinned to the red cushions, and the hats on the coffins are very powerful and moving images.

Gunner Bailey

Michael

Thanks for sharing your pics

Much appreciated.

Glyn

Great pictures, thank you.

I was at the Menin Gate for the Last Post ceremony on Friday 5th October 2007 where these men were remembered - very moving.

Michael.

Thanks for sharing these wonderfull Photographs.

Rest in Peace Cobber's

Rob.

I was there and the morning may have been misty but the afternoon was sunny. Except for when the last post played. A cloud overhead released heavy raindrops to hide the tears of grown men like me.

Pte William Williams was remembered and I laid a cross at 'his' grave.

It was one of the most moving experiences of my life.

As ex British Army it was also interesting to see a burial conducted by the Aussie's. It was 'differant' but fitting. I did not realise the Aussie Army had so many Lt-Cols though. :rolleyes:

We will remember them

stevem