Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Cook House

drummer

Thanks again to one and all..."figgy duff" does sound..umm..interesting, as does the Bully Curry...I am not likely to find either in a diner here in Maine, I guess.

In speaking about the difference between the French and British armies, I noticed that in "A Very Long Engagement" all stops were pulled to give the soldiers condemed to No Man's Land the finest meal possible before their send off...

Harry, thanks for the tip...since my main interest is in the period just before and shortly after August 1914, I think that Field Guide of 1914 would be a fascinating read..where would I look to purchase it??

Drummer

Figgy Duff would have been known in Maine long before the invention of the diner. It was a sort of steamed pudding (desert) probably best remembered by middle aged Britons from their school days as Spotted Dick. At one time a great favourite amongst sailors on both sides of the Atlantic (from before the beginning of the 19th Century). It had the advantages of being sweet, warming and filling you up

Figgy Duff would have been known in Maine long before the invention of the diner. It was a sort of steamed pudding (desert) probably best remembered by middle aged Britons from their school days as Spotted Dick. At one time a great favourite amongst sailors on both sides of the Atlantic (from before the beginning of the 19th Century). It had the advantages of being sweet, warming and filling you up

And lovely with custard! Elaine

This thread cannot go without mention of Baldricks' excellent cuisine in Blackadder.

E.G

One thing puzzles me, Baldrick. How did you manage to get so much custard out of such a small cat?

- Captain Blackadder, from Blackadder

Quote obtained from this site which explains where the word 'bully' in bully beef comes from. I never knew that!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/pda/A21605979?s_id=3

Hywyn