Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of dead officers, with photos.

Webby

Guest Capt Bayntun

Hi,

I am new to the Forum which looks an excellent place to exchange information with very knowledgeable and helpful people.

I am seeking information on Major John Charles O'Callaghan MC (1892-1918). He was killed while in charge (I believe) of C Battery, 190 Brigade, RFA on 4 April 1918. I would really like a picture of him if anyone knew where to find one? I would also be very interested in his service during World War 1. He was awarded a MC in 1916. Any details welcome and I would appreciate anyone who has time to respond.

Thank you

Ps. I am not sure whether this is the best place to post this so might try other threads

Ian

Very generous offer.

Could I trouble you for Captains Lamb and Selby of the Northumberland Fusiliers?

Many thanks

John

Ian

Could I also get Lt Wordsworth of the 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers

Many thanks

John

• 8 months later...

Disappointed not to see my great uncIe on either list - Lieutenenat Ivan Townsend of the East Lancs as below and avatar. Wondering how comprehensive they are..

Mike

Tom,

Is there any chance you could post a photo of the cover of volume 3 please? There seems to be a lot of publications with the same or similar name and I'm having difficulties identifying the correct one. Thanks!

Regards,

Des

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I am looking for a picture of JR Dennistoun and EG Ryckman (both RFC) and kia 4th May 1916

thank You

regards,

Cnock

Hello Graeme,

thank You very much!, but the J R Dennistoun I am looking for was kia together with Ryckman on 4/5/1916 (both buried at Halluin Communal Cem)

regards,

Cnock

Hello again,

I am also looking for a foto of Lieutenant-Colonel Hugh Boxer, DSO, commander 1/Lincolns, kia 16 june 1915,

and Captain Norman Sinclair Stewart, 2/Royal Scots, kia 30 september 1915.

greetings,

Cnock

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iam looking for photos of these officers killed in action if possible thank you

2nd Lt Sydney Robertson 1st K.O.S.B. Killed in Action 29.7.18.

2nd Lt. Clifford Hicks Butler 5th Royal Highlanders Black Watch Killed In Action 23rd April 1917

• 1 year later...

Greetings all,

Roby here on Long Island NY.

I am researching for my wife who is english and writing a novel based on the accounts of her grandmother while alive.

A certain Eric Gordon Henderson Lyon MC Scottish Rifles was my wife's grandfather and I am desperately trying to find more info besides the brief account on the web of his military service accompanied by a single photo of him.

Difficult to track down other images of him as many of the chaps back then seem to look similar.

Amazing discussions going on here as this is all new territory to me.

As a paleontologist I am usually researching back a few million years into earths history. 

Any leads would be appreciated.

Roby

Roby

Welcome to the Forum !

His Army Service file is here at our National Archives:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1091472

Due to your location (!) leave it with me and I will make a summary or jpegs when next I go to Kew, later this month.

• 3 weeks later...

Roby

I have 15 pages of the salient points from the service file. If you wish for these pages click on my title to the left of this page and you can send me a Private Message with your e-mail.