Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medaille Militaire

sswarby

K/12282 Geoge Henry Lade Serjt-Mech (Polegate)

My Grandfather was in the Royal Naval Air Service so have downloaded his record of service but can't read some of the handwriting or understand what it says.

On questioning my mother she remembers that he helped with the flying of the air balloons (I assume as a mechanic).

She doesn't know why he was awarded the Medaille Militaire and we would both be interested to know more.

Can anyone help?

post-25973-1191527383.jpg

Click Below!!

Medialle Militaire LG Promulgation 1919

:blush:

Unfortunately the LG rarely gives citations for Foriegn awards {or even UK awards such as the MM MSM etc};it is likely that unless attached to a French Air Service Flight,he was granted the award for his good services that were considered to merit an award but perhaps not a UK award or an MiD;as such awards were granted on an "inter~alia" basis,ie between the Allies a range of awards were available for varying degrees of meritorious service &/or Gallantry

Click Below!!

Medialle Militaire LG Promulgation 1919

:blush:

Unfortunately the LG rarely gives citations for Foriegn awards {or even UK awards such as the MM MSM etc};it is likely that unless attached to a French Air Service Flight,he was granted the award for his good services that were considered to merit an award but perhaps not a UK award or an MiD;as such awards were granted on an "inter~alia" basis,ie between the Allies a range of awards were available for varying degrees of meritorious service &/or Gallantry

The citation received says:

Au Nom du President de la Republique, Le Grand Chancelier del'Orde Nationalde la L'egion d'honneur a delivre le present Brevet a M.Serjt.Mechanic Air Service George Henry Lade de la Marine Britanique, K/12282, Deorre de la Medaille Militaire par decret du 22nd Decembre 1918.

Does this help?

SSwarby,

Hi welcome to the forum, your grandfather was certainly part of an 'airships crew' but I cannot quite make out his Service Register, he originally joined the Royal Navy as a Stoker and transfered to RNAS later. Any chance of a better scan.

Regards Charles

Hi,

He was Airship Crew as a Petty Officer (Mechanic) on 01/08/1915. Still not too clear, I know its not too easy getting it below 100k.

Regards Charles

can't seem to do more with the attachment, what is it that you need to know?

The remarks say

18th Feb detailed for service with the Royal Flying Corps at Farnborough

Air service from 15th Aug 1913

from 15th Sep 1913 9ae6596/15 promoted to Leading Mechanic

NP1604/16 rated Petty Officer mech (RNAS) 1 Aug 1916

NP7959/16.(A017+18)

If I got anything incorrect then I apologise now

On discharge from service on 21st Aug 1935 his Commanding Officer writes:

"This non-comissioned officer has completed 24yrs service. He was transferred to the Royal Air Force on 1st April 1918, having served with the Royal Navy and Royal Air Service since 7th August 1911. He has been awarded the 1914 Star, British War and Victory Medals, Silver Jubilee Medal, the Long Service Medal and the Iraq Active Service Medal. He was also mentioned for valuable services rendered in connection with the Great War."

His RAF Service Number was 315029

Is this of any help?

Up to 1913 he was a Stoker having served on or at HMS Victory II, Renown Topaze,Minerva,Hermes,Pembroke III. In 1915 he was promoted to Leading Mechanic while serving at HMS Pembroke,and then Petty Officer mechanic while serving at HMS Pembroke (Polegate) 01/08/1916-31/12/1917. (Listed as 142. No. 45 not sure what that means). I understand from my own research that most of these were Royal Naval Air Stations

Polegate is mentioned in the London Gazette as where he was stationed at the time I assume.