Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

POW camp

Eddieg

The following description of Friedrichsfeld comes from a booklet by Mrs Pope-Hennessy and published by Nisbet and Co. Ltd. Map of the Main Prison Camps in Germany and Austria (reprinted by the Imperial War Museum).

Friedrichsfeld - Sixty miles north of Cologne near Wesel. Capacity, 35 000. There is an open space with flower-beds between the barracks; large vegetable gardens and potato field run by the prisoners. It is the centre of many working commandos, mining and otherwise. It is also a postal station for a large number of prisoners who have never been in the camp itself.

The camp was in the 7th Army Corps area.

There is a photo of the main gate to Freidrichsfeld camp in Prisoners of the Kaiser by Richard Van Emden.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have any info. about the camp other than I know my Great Grandfather, who was captured on 30/11/17 at Ephy was held there some time in 1917/1918 (he was also held in Dulmen and elsewhere). He was Pte 359315 Robert Henry KNEEN of 1/10 King's Liverpool Regt. (Liverpool Scottish). It seems there was a lot of the battalion captured in this action. I'd be interested in earing any detail you have uncovered).