Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte D Goddard Hamshire Regt

delta

The meorial is our local church shows D Goddard as a private soldier in the Hampshire Regiment. No record of his death is given on the CWGC website but the villagers remember him as David.

Can anyone help with more details

Delta

Could you give some more information,it might help,such as which village/area the memorial is in.

Regards Doug

There's no "D.Goddard" for the Hampshire Regiment listed on SDGW either. (a post 1921 casualty, perhaps?)

Dave

Guest Ian Bowbrick

There are 4 soldiers on CWGC that match your criteria 2 Davids and 2 Ds:

D Goddard 13th Bn East Surreys

D Goddard 1st Life Guards of North Fambridge, Essex

David Goddard 2nd Dragoon Guards of Brixton, London

David Goodard Cheshire Regt of Cambridge

Any use?

Ian

Delta,

I assume that 'D Goddard' is commemorated in the church at Grateley, Hants together with W.E. Alexander, and four others?

I am currently researching the war memorials in Romsey and surrounding villages so can probably give you a few 'local' pointers on where to look - if you drop me an e-mail off forum we can discuss further. In so far as D. Goddard is concerned, there are a number of Hampshire Regiment casualties with the last name Goddard but none on CWGC with this initial. It is possible as Dave (Croonaert) suggests that he is a post 1921 casualty, perhaps? N.B. I may also be able to help out with some additional information for the other 2 Hampshire Regt casualties that you have.

Marc

Delta,

Further to my previous post we have a potential candidate, but not a 'D' Goddard:

Pte 10469 William Charles Goddard

2nd Battalion, Hampshire Regt, 88th Brigade, 29th Division

Died at sea on 13/08/1915 age 25 years

Commemorated: Helles Memorial, Gallipoli Panel 125-134 or 223-226 228-229 & 328

Based on the date and nature of death this would indicate that Pte Goddard drowned after H. M. Transport "Royal Edward" was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine in the Aegen Sea whilst en route to reinforce the 29th Division in the Dardenelles.

Son of George and Mary Ann Goddard, of Back St., Appleshaw, Andover

Born: Tidworth, Wiltshire

Enlisted: Winchester, Hampshire

Residence is shown on Soldiers Died in the Great War as 'Gritley, Hants'. I'm not aware of a 'Gritley' in Hampshire, so it could be a typo for 'Grateley'?

• 2 weeks later...

Marc

Great newsand many thanks for a super update. Given that we are unable to discover when the current memoral boards were erected in the church (almost certainly post WW2), and the fact that there are a couple of other errors, I would not like hold that "D" is Goddard's true initial

I will push along with this line of research and see if the village memory responds