Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attack on of Coxhaven 1914/18

Toms girl

This is first contribution, please be gentle. Has anyone information on the attck of Coxhaven Port where Zepalins were used to attack our ships, which were carrying planes to the attack.

Toms girl

Hi Toms girl, there's lots of information here on the forum...plenty there to keep ya going,

cheers, Jon

ps.....and welcome to the forum :D ...we're always gentle...well most of us anyway...

Hi Toms girl, there's lots of information here on the forum...plenty there to keep ya going,

cheers, Jon

ps.....and welcome to the forum :D ...we're always gentle...well most of us anyway...

Many Thanks Jon I was obviously spelling it wrongly should be cuxhaven, info very interesting. I am writting a book on my grandfathers life in navy 1903-1927 then 1939-1945 so far have got to cuxhaven. I appreciate your help. Think the site is great. Toms girl

This is first contribution, please be gentle. Has anyone information on the attck of Coxhaven Port where Zepalins were used to attack our ships, which were carrying planes to the attack.

Toms girl

R.D. Layman's book "The Cuxhaven Raid" would be a good start.

Welcome to the forum Toms girl

The Cuxhaven Raid has not had the write up it deserves.

What was your grandfather's role?

Welcome to the forum Toms girl

The Cuxhaven Raid has not had the write up it deserves.

What was your grandfather's role?

He was a yeo of signals RN from 1903-1927 -1939-1945 and was at cuxhaven

Regards

Toms girll

If he has Traced Medal or traced med on his service document, that is when he received a long service good conduct medal, due to a glitch in the regulations it is unlikely he received the bar for extra long service.

Have you checked to see if he served in any of the smaller colonial wars?

Yeoman of Signals at this time served with flags and manual signals.

If he has Traced Medal or traced med on his service document, that is when he received a long service good conduct medal, due to a glitch in the regulations it is unlikely he received the bar for extra long service.

Have you checked to see if he served in any of the smaller colonial wars?

Yeoman of Signals at this time served with flags and manual signals.

Thank you every one who answered. Grandad did receive a BEM but I have no record of a long service medal. Looks if he should have one though due to his return for the 2nd WW

Toms girl

If he was not caught out the earliest he would have qualified for it was after 15 years adult service. There are several threads which give the award criteria. The BEM could have been in lieu of the second award bar for the LSGC, but there should have been an admiralty file to give the details of award.