Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ignatius Welby No. 7 Squadron

Mike Newham

Could anybody help me with No. 7 Squadron. I understand I. Welby transferred from 59 Squadron to 7 Squadron but being a relative amateur I am confused. I believe there was a 7 Squadron RNAS also an AFC 7 Squadron but I haven't been able to find any reference to a 'regular' 7 Squadron. For some reason I can't get the 'search' to pick up the '7' with 'Squadron'. Getting pages of response all of which are interesting but not quite what I'm looking for! There is a mention of seaplanes on his Certificate of Service. I also have mentioned in dispatches recommended by 7 Squadron. Again he was also a pilot in Australia in later life so an AFC link does not appear unreasonable? All are possibilities so any 'fact' would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in anticipation.

I think it most unlikely that anyone could transfer from the RFC to the RNAS; not impossible, of course - but I have never come across anyone who did.

Here's the Squadron Association's website: http://www.7squadronassociation.org/

If of any use I have this information on Welby:

Lt. Ignatius Welby MC, 1/5th Lincolnshire Regt., was born on 26th October 1891. His parents were Patrick and Mary Jane Welby of 24, Eleanor Street, Grimsby. Educated at Clee Grammar School and the Municipal College, Grimsby he was a ship’s steward. He enlisted as Private 232 in the 10th Lincolns and was commissioned into the 2/5th Lincolns on 13th July 1915. He was promoted Temp Lt. on 23rd April 1916. He later joined No. 7 Squadron, RAF.

He won the MC for rescuing a man in No Man's Land opposite Gommecourt on 1st July 1916. The London Gazette citation read:

“For conspicuous gallantry. With two volunteers he rescued under a heavy fire a wounded man who was lying sixty yards in front of the parapet.”

The volunteers were L/Cpl S Bowness and Pte J Austin both of whom were awarded the MM. Neither survived the war.

Hi

7 Sqn RFC, formed Farnborough 01-05 1914. The last Sqn formed before war.

Disbanded 31-12-1918, reformed 01-06-1923.

Tim.