Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ulverston St Trench, Ovillers

tootrock

Does anyone have access to maps giving details of the location of Ulverston Street trench, in the Ovillers area. The 2nd Royal Berkshires regrouped there on 1 July 1916.

Any details would be apreciated.

Regards,

Martin

According to Barry Cuttell's listing of trench locations on the Somme he places Ulverston Street just west of Ovillers at map reference 625/2559 on IGN map sheet 2408O. Hope this helps, Pete

Map on this page elsewhere on the site:

2nd Battalion, Middlesex War Diary

Incorrectly named as Ulverstone Tr. (at about 2 o'clock) The trenches were named by the 1/4th King's Own when they were there with 51st Div. Other trenches in the area look as if they were named by the 1/4th Loyals (among others).

Best wishes.

Andy.

post-754-1191239602.jpeg

Thanks for that information.

Every little helps towards trying to understand the bigger picture!

Regards,

Martin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Don't know if this is still relevant as your post was three years ago, but we recently went to The Somme and walked over to the site of the Ulverston St trench which is signposted from Ovillers. There is a plaque on the location, nothing really spectacular there, but you have a view of Albert in one direction and the Thiepval memorial arch in the other which is quite pretty. Also found artillery shrapnel in the fields. We've got a couple of photo's if you are interested, unfortunately they don't really show much other than the scenery.

• 13 years later...

Even more later now!!!

I tried to visit the site/ memorial around 6 months ago.  As I was driving, I thought I saw a small signpost but could have been mistaken - I tried to follow the local roads round but alas, couldn't find it.  The sign is very small indeed and can be easily missed!

The exact location is on google maps BUT only if you zoom in to the maximum - meaning you have to be in the right area to start off with! I have attached a screenshot of the maps  for any future searchers that may put 'Ulverston Trench' and this page pops up!!

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 09.25.11.png

34 minutes ago, Andy Cundell said:

for any future searchers

Funny to think the OP is online right now!

Might be a bit easier to just put Ulverston into TrenchMapper and see the modern location with the Great War trenches georeferenced.  Plus, visible scarring from First Street just east of Ovillers British Cemetery. 

image.png.133b2a232fb6e98c3dc74ca2e73de3d7.png

• 4 weeks later...

We got there OK and found the memorial - As I had my suit on for Remembrance, I drove on the track and did make the mistake of not reversing back out, I didn't want to damage the crops from turning the car around.  I ended up going to the end (where you could see the farmer had a turning circle) and spent a few minutes spinning wheels in mud until I put the car in 'magic mode' and eventually made it round. My Mrs thought we were beached and at one stage I did as well!!! Had to take the car to the car wash afterwards :lol:

400186094_10228126583381630_4803832321934468715_n.jpg

IMG_1785.png