Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seaman's service details

Alan Lines

Hi

I've got the service record of a local man who was killed on the HMS Bulwark in 1914. I'm a bit puzzled by his prior service. He joined the Navy on 31/12/12 and was posted to the Bulark only six weeks later. This seems a bit quick, does anyone know if this was unusual? In the remarks column it states " Merchant services with eng?" (The ? is a letter I can't make out) I'm wondering if he was sent on ship so early because of his prior service or possibly it was possible to finish one's training on ship?

He joined as an Ordinary Seaman and was promoted to Able Seaman on 19/11/14

Many thanks

Al

likely he had previous experience - Ive seen men posted to a unit less than a month after joining up

Al,

He would finish his training onboard and would need to pass an exam to become an Able Seamen. I hope he wasn't still onboard Bulwark when she met her demise.

Regards Charles

The Navy conducted most of the training 'on the job.' What was his civilian occupation? If there is a comment in the remarks column I would have expected that to have been something that became apparent after his time in the RN started. Could you scan the comment?